82GS750T - Seal, T/M Gear Shift Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Pics Posted

I was having upload delays to photobucket...but finally got them loaded.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

That looks like one of those projects that starts simple enough and then blows out on you. Good luck!
      Hondas
      '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
      Suzuki
      '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
      Kaw
      '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
        That looks like one of those projects that starts simple enough and then blows out on you. Good luck!
        Yeah, I am thinking this isn't as simple as it looks. Haven't looked in here for any previous threads that could be helpful.

I'm imagining a big spring-loaded action that results in all the plates popping out. But let's hope that's not the case.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          I'm imagining a big spring-loaded action that results in all the plates popping out. But let's hope that's not the case.
          It's not one big spring-loaded action, there are SIX springs.

OK, no alarm, though. Just loosen each of them a couple turns at a time, keep going around the circle until they are all out. There is virtually no spring pressure on the bolts for the last couple of turns, but if you remove five bolts completely, leaving one bolt tight, there will be a considerably amount of strain on that one bolt.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

6 Springs

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's not one big spring-loaded action, there are SIX springs.

OK, no alarm, though. Just loosen each of them a couple turns at a time, keep going around the circle until they are all out. There is virtually no spring pressure on the bolts for the last couple of turns, but if you remove five bolts completely, leaving one bolt tight, there will be a considerably amount of strain on that one bolt.

I'm confident this won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will. Thanks Steve.

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              I should have my Clymer's Manual by Saturday; I'll get started once I settle into my Mom's house. Pics to follow.

For some reason, I couldn't find the clutch cover gasket on BoulevardSuzuki's fiche otherwise I would have ordered it.

The clutch was rebuilt when I bought the bike so I'll do my best to gently remove the cover.

Ed
              Ed, it is under the CRANK CASE HEADING. They show both the right and left side case coverings. Your clutch cover is a bit hidden by the left case cover pic, though it is there. Just blow up the part pic some and you'll see it.

#3--11482-45400-H17 GASKET,CLUTCH C $12.71MRSP $9.91 Retail
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-23-2013, 05:11 PM.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Saw It

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Ed, it is under the CRANK CASE HEADING. They show both the right and left side case coverings. Your clutch cover is a bit hidden by the left case cover pic, though it is there. Just blow up the part pic some and you'll see it.

#3--11482-45400-H17 GASKET,CLUTCH C $12.71MRSP $9.91 Retail
                I finally saw it Bill...Thanks!

The one I have is in good condition so I will leave it "as-is".

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Clutch Basket Removal

I can't get my "T" out of my head...wanna ride while I'm here in LA.

Still waiting on my manual and parts but in the meantime I can start removing the clutch basket. Thanks to Steve, I started by loosening each "7" bolt in a clockwise manner. The tension was gradually released and Clutch Disc Pre came out easy.

Definitely need this for a reference:

Came to a work stoppage because I need a 32mm socket. I used a 1 1/4 Standard to see if I could loosen it but it spun. I need to figure out how to keep the hub from moving which will involve opening up the gear cover and keeping the sprocket nut in-place.

A trip to Harbor Freight is in order for 2 oversized metric sockets.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

1-1/4" socket is fine but you need an impact for best results.

if you leave the clutches in the basket you can take a chisel/hammer and shock the large nut loose(at least i have on several occasions when in a pinch).

Comment

Get the socket and do the job right... hammer&chisel? Come on
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Get the socket and do the job right... hammer&chisel? Come on
                        come on what????
                        if the man has no impact....he has no impact.
                        you can spin the nut loose with a hammer and chisel.
                        you have commented on my suggestions in the past..
                        would you like to compare skills sometime?
                        i stand by my 25 years of GS work from stock to 300+HP engine builds.
                        your tone seems to be getting worse PLUS IT'S CHRISTMAS!
                        go do something christmassy

oh,
                        here's the socket info...
                        1 1/4 1.2500 31.7500
                        the SAE socket fit's better than the metric does.
                        Last edited by blowerbike; 12-25-2013, 10:54 PM. Reason: merry xmas

Comment

Thanks guys...it's Christmas and Harbor Freight is closed. I planned on getting 2 oversized sockets anyway because I don't wanna fudge this job.

I'm taking my time with this task because I wanna do it correctly. Even though I'm anxious to ride, I can wait for the next step.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Moar Maintenance

Okay...took the clutch basket out. I found out the sprocket and the clutch are not on the same line. After thinking about it, I put her in gear then re-installed the brake pedal to keep the hub from moving and BAM, I was able to loosen the nut.

I slowly removed the rest of the components making sure they are kept the same way they came out. Now I'm waiting for my manual so I can realign the clutch paw and put my clutch back together.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

The picture on page 3-58 here should be all you need:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Service Manual

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                The picture on page 3-58 here should be all you need:

http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...50_16valve.pdf
                                Thanks tkent!

I called BlvdSuzuki today and my order is just being shipped as I type this via UPS. I suspect my parts won't be here till late next week. My plan is to align the paw and then reassemble the clutch basket without replacing the seal. The seal leak is very mild. I anticipated everything would be delivered by this Friday but now I'll take care of this when I return to NM.

Gotta ride at least one weekend here in LA.

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X