Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 gs550 leaking oil can I use stop leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs550 leaking oil can I use stop leak?

I have a 1981 gs550 which has been leaking oil for sense I got it. It's not a major leak and I believe it is coming from the base gasket so replacing it will be an undertaking. Can I try a stop leak product to try to fix it? Will it hurt anything?

What is "stop leak product"? Have a link?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do the undertaking.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Do The Work...It's Worth It!

Can you tighten the bolts without removing the pipes? Probably not...at least without stripping them.

It's best to do the undertaking...I'm currently in-the-process and replacing my dual exhaust to a V&H 4-1 pipe. Let's just say I'm very excited!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Do the undertaking.
          I have never taken apart a whole engine before. It's a lot easier said the done.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            What is "stop leak product"? Have a link?
            Lucas oil stop leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post
              I have never taken apart a whole engine before. It's a lot easier said the done.
              Not the whole engine, just the cylinders and head. Not that big a deal.

Is the bike running fine now? How many miles on it?

Comment

Not the whole engine, just the cylinders and head. Not that big a deal.

Is the bike running fine now? How many miles on it?
                Yea it runs great I ride it every day it is above 55 degrees. It just leaks oil which has been getting on my shoe and bike.

Comment

Post Pics

Originally posted by Quest View Post
                  I have a 1981 gs550 which has been leaking oil for sense I got it. It's not a major leak and I believe it is coming from the base gasket so replacing it will be an undertaking. Can I try a stop leak product to try to fix it? Will it hurt anything?
                  Dude...post pics. "Coming from the base gasket" I interpreted as coming from underneath the engine. I've removed the valve cover to do adjustments but not any further below the valve cover.

Thank goodness, I haven't had a need to do that job. Is the oil seeping or is it really bad? This is why you have to post pics...here's what mine looked like when I first started riding my "T":

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Can you tighten the bolts without removing the pipes? Probably not...at least without stripping them.

It's best to do the undertaking...I'm currently in-the-process and replacing my dual exhaust to a V&H 4-1 pipe. Let's just say I'm very excited!

Ed
                  Reference my reply.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Dude...post pics. "Coming from the base gasket" I interpreted as coming from underneath the engine. I've removed the valve cover to do adjustments but not any further below the valve cover.

Thank goodness, I haven't had a need to do that job. Is the oil seeping or is it really bad? This is why you have to post pics...here's what mine looked like when I first started riding my "T":

Reference my reply.

Ed
                    I'll post pics tomorrow.

Comment

^^So does your situation look fair or worse than my pics? It's ok if they seep a little and you don't lose too much oil. I've got recent pics of the engine and the seeping isn't much different than pics above.

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

He said it was getting on his shoes. It's time to fix it. He didn't answer my question about milage, or give a location.

Comment

He said it was getting on his shoes. It's time to fix it.
                          Or just stuff in some Maxi Pads and continue to ride. (Ask Basscliff for that explanation )

Comment

Detective Work

He said it was getting on his shoes. It's time to fix it. He didn't answer my question about milage, or give a location.
                            Well DANG!

If it's getting on his shoes, he must be leaking from the same place my "T" is leaking...the OIL PAN COVER.

Oil spraying from the engine and landing on his shoes is quite the problem; I don't believe his is that bad but let's wait for pics.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

^^So does your situation look fair or worse than my pics? It's ok if they seep a little and you don't lose too much oil. I've got recent pics of the engine and the seeping isn't much different than pics above.

Ed
                              yea its worse. I'll post pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X