Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 gs550 leaking oil can I use stop leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old 550 at 120,000 miles would soak your knee in an hour. It leaked everywhere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sanitize

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      Or just stuff in some Maxi Pads and continue to ride. (Ask Basscliff for that explanation )
      Hahahahahaha!

I see enough women's personal stuff on TV. I don't believe Massengill will take care of it either.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        He said it was getting on his shoes. It's time to fix it. He didn't answer my question about milage, or give a location.
        It has 14k miles and is located in VA.

Comment

No Bueno!

Originally posted by Quest View Post
          yea its worse. I'll post pics.
          Oh CRAP!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Fix it right
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fix it correctly and don't add any stop leak, as you have a wet clutch and it is hard to say what it may do to your clutch. Adding additives, and other things other than the recommended oil is not recommended on these bikes as you can cause more damage to the motor. Also an oil leak, as you say getting your shoe wet can be very dangerous on a bike. Imagine that oil on your tire in a corner.I personally have never experienced it, but have seen the results.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Do not put that junk fix in your motor-
                As stated, isolate the leak and fix it- The only way to learn is to try. Don't be intimidated by the work.

Comment

I'm getting set to replace the top-end gaskets on my 850, it will be my first time doing such a thing too.

Don't be intimidated by the work involved, these old GSes are a breeze to work on. (Most of the time.) Take the time to study the parts and procedures, set up a clean work area, make sure you have all the necessary tools, have a well-stocked fridge within walking distance, and the work will pretty much do itself. Invite someone over to hang out with and heck, you might even have FUN fixing the thing.
                  Last edited by eil; 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Take the time to study the parts and procedures, set up a clean work area, make sure you have all the necessary tools, have a well-stocked fridge within walking distance, and the work will pretty much do itself. Invite someone over to hang out with and heck, you might even have FUN fixing the thing.
                    What he said. If you don't enjoy doing this kind of thing, buy a new bike.

First, how certain are you that the base gasket is actually leaking? Hot oil in the wind will migrate everywhere.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                      Invite someone over to hang out with and heck, you might even have FUN fixing the thing.
                      SE Michigan is closer than SE Wisconsin.

Let me know when you want to bring it down.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X