No announcement yet.

Chain just broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So two inches of total movement on the bottom rung is good?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
      Well then my chain is way too tight. I guess i need to adjust that out more. I wonder why everyone says an inch total movement is ok? Well i guess i need to get on that.
      No one who knows anything about chains has ever said that.

It is wrong.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Right on. Then that is how I will do it. I definitely don't want to break a chain. I like my legs just the way they are. Lol

Comment

Go to the 1:32 mark of the video, and observe the chain "slop":

The best super slow motion footage from the 2013 Gran Premi Aperol de Catalunya, round six of the season at the superb Catalunya circuit.

That's at least 2 1/2" inches up and down.

Generally, for the longest chain life, you want to take the maximum amount of slop you can have without the chain leaving the sprocket teeth, and reduce it by 20%.

For our GSes, that generally works out to be between 2"- 3".
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Hmmm, me thinks I'll take another look at my chain. When I installed this 530 conversion, I probably had 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches of slack. Though once you drop the bike down off the center stand on to the wheel, the chain tightens to about 1 3/4s.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              Hmmm, me thinks I'll take another look at my chain. When I installed this 530 conversion, I probably had 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches of slack. Though once you drop the bike down off the center stand on to the wheel, the chain tightens to about 1 3/4s.
              That's just it. When the swingarm pivot is in alighnment with the two sprockets, the length is is maxed out. If this length is longer than the chain, the forces on everything is multiplied many many times, something has to give.
              Whatever it is will be expensive, and probably dangerous.
              You have to alow enough slack that this can never happen.

It gets worse with old chains and sprockets, because if the tight loose tight thing as it goes around. At the tightest point the chain length can't be allowed to be shorter than the sprocket distance, at it's longest, when all three points are lined up.

Old chains just have to be set looser than new ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mine was alot tighter after I installed the 630 Bill gave me. Let me get the ruler out...

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  That's just it. When the swingarm pivot is in alighnment with the two sprockets, the length is is maxed out. If this length is longer than the chain, the forces on everything is multiplied many many times, something has to give.
                  Whatever it is will be expensive, and probably dangerous.
                  You have to alow enough slack that this can never happen.

It gets worse with old chains and sprockets, because if the tight loose tight thing as it goes around. At the tightest point the chain length can't be allowed to be shorter than the sprocket distance, at it's longest, when all three points are lined up.

Old chains just have to be set looser than new ones.
                  Hmmm, so even with the new chain, I probably should more then 1 3/4s slack with the bike's weight on the wheels then.

Okay, went back and checked the manual. It says: on center stand, loosen axle nut and adjusters, adjust chain to 20-30mm or 0.8-1 1/2 of slack. That being said, mine is adjusted looser then what the manual calls for. Even with the bike off the center stand I have 1 1/2 inch to 1 3/4s depending on the tight side or loose side of the chain. On the center stand it jumps to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. I rotate my chain when I adjust to check the loose and tight side. I'm looking for a good middle ground between the two.
                  Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-07-2014, 04:55 PM.
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Mine was alot tighter after I installed the 630 Bill gave me. Let me get the ruler out...

Ed
                    Yeah we may have gotten a bit on the tight side yet.
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                    X