stator cover leaking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator cover leaking oil

Hi I just installed new stator Suzuki gs 850 and installed a new gasket on the stator cover..I see a little oil film on top of the cover ..lookin closer i noticed the oil coming from in between the 2 top stator bolts. ..I think the top of the gasket dropped down just between the 2 top stator bolts .its not a big leak. Like I said it a film...I should of used something on the gasket before installing it stopping it from moving around can anyone suggest any product .because if it starts leaking worse I will have to change the gasket ..can anyone suggest a good gasket ..maybe I bought I cheap gasket. Its a stator gasket gs 850.. Also does anyone also recommend gasket seelant on the new gasket ..

1) Do NOT use sealer or RTV

2) Get a new gasket. Just a guess, but it sounds like you might have one of the very thin no-name gaskets out there infesting the world.

3) OEM gaskets are the best by far. A new OEM gasket won't cost much -- maybe $10 at your local Suzuki dealer (they'll probably have to order it) and it's thick enough that it won't sag and re-create the problem.

Someone will be along shortly to assert that you can make your own gasket in a mere four hours or so out of a cereal box... not a bad option if you're stuck in outer Mongolia or something.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm real cheap but I use genuine suzuki gaskets- I hate oil leaks! Last time I checked they were more than $10 though- maybe $16 for stator cover
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I checked online prices on a GS850 stator gasket when I posted -- depending on where you order, prices ranged between $8 and $11 US.

YMMV, of course, and your local dealer will likely charge more if they have to wake up the parts monkey. Many local dealers let you order online and then pick up locally when it comes in.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X