No announcement yet.

GS1000E clutch basket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the the others, at what I can see those look like casting lines. Unfortunately we have only your pictures to go by, you on the other hand have it in front of you. Before condemning it as being bad I would at least inspect it under some sort of magnification.

How are the dampener springs on the backside? If they are loose then that's another reason to open it up.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
      I hope these turn out ok

[ATTACH]23114[/ATTACH]
      agreed casting flash.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
        agreed casting flash.
        if casting flash would not every gs1000 basket be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
          if casting flash would not every gs1000 basket be the same?
          Most are - I've got a couple here that look just the same. It's pretty normal. If the rivets are tight, and the springs reasonable, I'd use it.

You're not drag racing it, and unlikely to wheelie it everywhere....

Hope your trip is to the South Island.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            Most are - I've got a couple here that look just the same. It's pretty normal. If the rivets are tight, and the springs reasonable, I'd use it.

You're not drag racing it, and unlikely to wheelie it everywhere....

Hope your trip is to the South Island.
            Thanks Greg

I'm playing it safe now no dragging or wheelies as just had 5 vertebra's and one disc replace in my neck.

Trip is gisborne to Auckland then to south island top to bottom and across both passes and to the sounds then back to Auckland and home to gisborne

thinking 5 days riding but may be closer to 10

will be two 78-79 1000 and a 850
            hope to have coffee with a few GSR members along the way

Comment

Sitting here in front of a screen on the other end of the planet, those look like perfectly normal and harmless casting "flow" marks, which you'll find in many cast aluminum parts throughout every motorcycle.

In fact, this is a common question on forums for modern bikes whenever an owner gets a peep at the unfinished surface of a cast aluminum part. (Clutch baskets and wheel hubs, most often.)

However, as mentioned above, you're the one with the part in hand. If the surfaces of the clutch basket show signs of abuse, or you know the it came from a bike with a history of drag racing, or just for your own peace of mind, you can have it inspected using dye. Or even buy a dye inspection kit and check it yourself -- they're not that expensive.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Sitting here in front of a screen on the other end of the planet, those look like perfectly normal and harmless casting "flow" marks, which you'll find in many cast aluminum parts throughout every motorcycle.

In fact, this is a common question on forums for modern bikes whenever an owner gets a peep at the unfinished surface of a cast aluminum part. (Clutch baskets and wheel hubs, most often.)

However, as mentioned above, you're the one with the part in hand. If the surfaces of the clutch basket show signs of abuse, or you know the it came from a bike with a history of drag racing, or just for your own peace of mind, you can have it inspected using dye. Or even buy a dye inspection kit and check it yourself -- they're not that expensive.
                Thanks was concern cause my (cracked wide open)one had no casting/flow marks so was thinking stress cracking.

Comment

Working...
                X