No announcement yet.

Odd 1100 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've usually had good luck finding a small leak by washing/scrubbing all the oil off the engine, letting it dry and then spraying the suspected sport and surrounding area with spray starch. Let the starch dry well (it turns white), then run the engine and look closely. The oil seep will be easy to see. A strong shop light helps to see in the fins, etc.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

FINALLY FOUND THE LEAK!! Here's what I did. I took off the cam end cap as suggested. Took her for a short spin and immediately saw oil leaking out from the bottom of the half moon gasket! When I checked for leaks in this area in the past, I waited for the bike to cool down so I wouldn't get burnt feeling around the engine and valve cover gasket. I think this allowed any oil that was behind the cap to burn off completely before I would come by later and check. Every time I checked for oil there before it was bone dry. Problem solved!! Thanks everyone for the help.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Working...
      X