Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might be a genius or an idiot - you tell me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be a genius or an idiot - you tell me...

Folks,

A couple months ago, I bought a chain/sprockets to do a 530 conversion on my GS.

I had a brain fart and forgot that the pitch from a 630 to a 530 chain is different - I ordered the original 630 teeth counts for my 530 sprockets, 15 and 42, respectively.

When the conversion is done, I should have ordered a 18T front and a 50T rear. Now, considering that I purchased a 15 and 42, the final drive ratio is essentially the same as the 18 and 50. However, my question is, are the 15/42 530 sprockets too small, and thus going to cause accelerated chain wear and chain slapping issues?

Or, did I unintentionally commit an act of genius and thus reduced the amount of rotating mass on my drivetrain by ordering smaller sprockets with the same final drive ratio?
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

my final drive is 47 14 and it shows no issues of accelerated wear
    had on hcain last 20k of hard use and little oil

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      my final drive is 47 14 and it shows no issues of accelerated wear
      had on hcain last 20k of hard use and little oil
      I'm just concerned about the overall diameter of the rear sprocket - is it too small and thus going to cause the chain to slap the swingarm, etc...
      René Descartes

Comment

The diameter has nothing to do with chain tension. In fact, a smaller diameter with comparable tension will give you more clearance, not less.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
          However, my question is, are the 15/42 530 sprockets too small, and thus going to cause accelerated chain wear and chain slapping issues?
          The 530 chain will wear the same as the 630 did because your sprockets are the same tooth count as the 630. I can't say on the swingarm issues but I have seen it mentioned by others here as a potential problem.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Chain and sprocket wear will be greater because the front sprocket is smaller (diameter) than ideal. The chain also may drag on the swingarm in some situations.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If the outside diameter of the sprocket DECREASES, wouldn't the chain be moved CLOSER to the swingarm?
              René Descartes

Comment

If the outside diameter of the sprocket DECREASES, wouldn't the chain be moved CLOSER to the swingarm?
                Yes, but I'm dumb and forgot that the chain wraps around the swing arm.

Comment

Update:

The folks at Z1 are being fantastic and allowing me to return the unused sprockets to them for a refund - in turn, I purchased the correct sizes, 18T and 50T, respectively.
                  René Descartes

Comment

Update:

The folks at Z1 are being fantastic and allowing me to return the unused sprockets to them for a refund - in turn, I purchased the correct sizes, 18T and 50T, respectively.
                    +1 for Z1! Placed an order there yesterday. Great services and prices.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Update:

Excellent news, that is great customer service. Do you have the correct length of chain for the bigger sprockets?

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Excellent news, that is great customer service. Do you have the correct length of chain for the bigger sprockets?

Mark
                        Yep - thankfully that's the one thing I didn't mess up :-)
                        René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                        X