Equally low compression on all 4 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equally low compression on all 4 cylinders

I'm getting 60psi (+/- 1psi) across all 4 cylinders. Is there anything that would cause equal low compression besides timing? I've done the timing exactly as the manual shows. There is now slack in the chain in front of the exhaust cam and all the marks are on point even when I crank the motor around a few times.

The bike will consistently start and run for 3 to 8 seconds with the choke fully on. I've completely taken apart the top end and rebuilt it before I started experiencing these problems. Also, I've done a half assed leak down test with my air compressor and when on TDC of 1-4 I get air coming out of the spark plug holes of 2 and 3 when blowing air in 1 and 4. When I do the same to 2 and 3 I don't get air out of 1 and 4. What is this telling me? Bad head gasket?

Could equal low compression be caused by anything else?

1) The compression test must be done with the throttle held wide open. Doing it with the throttle closed will result in low values.

2) Valves. More than likely, your valve clearance is zero, which means that the cam lobes are preventing the valves from closing all the way. Adjust the valves.

Using zip ties in place of the special tool:

As a side note, spark timing has absolutely nothing to do with compression. Valve timing, however, does. But unless the previous owner has removed the cam chain and put it back on in the wrong spot, or your chain is REALLY stretched (unlikely), then the odds of your valve timing being off are extremely low.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
      1) The compression test must be done with the throttle held wide open. Doing it with the throttle closed will result in low values.

2) Valves. More than likely, your valve clearance is zero, which means that the cam lobes are preventing the valves from closing all the way. Adjust the valves.

As a side note, spark timing has absolutely nothing to do with compression. Valve timing, however, does. But unless the previous owner has removed the cam chain and put it back on in the wrong spot, or your chain is REALLY stretched (unlikely), then the odds of your valve timing being off are extremely low.

1) I held the throttle wide open when doing the tests so it's not that. 2) I've checked all my valve gaps and I did replace some of the shims because 4 of them were too tight. They are all properly set between .03mm and .08mm now. 3) I didn't make this clear before but I was talking about cam timing not spark timing.

Anyone have any advice about why I'm getting air leaking from one cylinder to another? Or why the compression is the same across the board but so low?

Comment

Is it possible that the tensioner is not operating correctly either because the set screw is jamming it or the rod is bent? Make sure that setscrew is 1/4 to 1/2 turn backed out from the rod. Turn the motor over backwards and you should feel the tensioner move if you rotate the knob anticlock slightly. Slack on the front at tdc seems wrong. Could the chain be too long or the guides worn out?
        Guessing now but could air be going out exhaust valves and coming back in others via the exhaust.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

You had the cams out, correct? Have you verified twice that they are in the right position? Just make sure you have the correct amount of pins between the marks on the cam gears...
          Curt
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Is it possible that the tensioner is not operating correctly either because the set screw is jamming it or the rod is bent? Make sure that setscrew is 1/4 to 1/2 turn backed out from the rod. Turn the motor over backwards and you should feel the tensioner move if you rotate the knob anticlock slightly. Slack on the front at tdc seems wrong. Could the chain be too long or the guides worn out?
            Guessing now but could air be going out exhaust valves and coming back in others via the exhaust.
            I meant to say, "there is NO slack in the chain," in my original post. Not "NOW". Sorry about that. The chain tensioner plunger isn't bent and the screw is backed out about a 1/2 turn.

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
              You had the cams out, correct? Have you verified twice that they are in the right position? Just make sure you have the correct amount of pins between the marks on the cam gears...
              Curt
              I've made sure that the cam rods are in the correct spots and counted 20 pins between the 2 and 3 mark as the manual said to do.

I did take the valves out and lightly cleaned them when I had the top end taken off. Could they not be seating properly now? Do valves need to be lapped every time they are taken out and put back in?

Comment

Leaking from one cylinder to another can only be a bad head gasket. Low compression after the valves were too tight likely means burnt valves, but it's odd for them all to be even.
                How does it run?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Leaking from one cylinder to another can only be a bad head gasket. Low compression after the valves were too tight likely means burnt valves, but it's odd for them all to be even.
                  How does it run?
                  Ok. I just wanted to get another opinion about the head gasket. I figured that was the only thing that could cause it.

It is super weird that they are all the same low compression. The gasket is one of the only common threads between all the cylinders though so that might have something to do with it.

It doesn't run. It'll start with the choke on and die after 3 to 5 seconds. It will start again and again if you let it rest for 5 seconds in between

Comment

Dumb question... Could the compression tester be faulty?
                    -Mark
                    Boston, MA
                    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                    sigpic
                    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                      Not so dumb at all.
                      Op has half the normal pressure and the variation across all four is 5% of the variation the manufacturer specifies.
                      Either the tester is sticking at sixty or all pots are connected by a secret tunnel.
                      Even dumber question .... is the head torqued down?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Tanerrx View Post
                        Anyone have any advice about why I'm getting air leaking from one cylinder to another? Or why the compression is the same across the board but so low?
                        How did you verify the air leakage from one cylinder to another? Did you put air in one cylinder and the pressure gauge in the adjacent cylinder?
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

same thing

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                          I've been wondering the same thing about mine. When I first got the bike, it was not running, sat for 14 years. I did a cold compression check. 90 psi across all 4 with throttle wide open. Thought it was strange, but figured I would check again once I got the bike running. Months later, after a good ride, I checked again. 90 psi across all 4. Stranger still, I thought. Figuring compression would probably come up after putting some miles on the bike, I check again. Even after 600 miles and checking after a ride, I still get 90 psi across all 4. Always checked with throttle wide open. Now, I'm convinced it's my tester.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                            Not so dumb at all.
                            Op has half the normal pressure and the variation across all four is 5% of the variation the manufacturer specifies.
                            Either the tester is sticking at sixty or all pots are connected by a secret tunnel.
                            Even dumber question .... is the head torqued down?
                            Yes. The head is torqued down as tight as I can comfortably get it. I don't have a torque wrench but it's on there good. I'm going to try my compression gauge in one or two other bikes today and just make sure it's working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanerrx View Post

Can you describe this air leaking better? Can't imagine how you would see this doing a simple compression test.

Also a leakdown test will tell you a lot more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X