Equally low compression on all 4 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
    How did you verify the air leakage from one cylinder to another? Did you put air in one cylinder and the pressure gauge in the adjacent cylinder?
    I put cylinders 1-4 on TDC and put my air compressor in 4 and I could feel air coming out of 3. Same with 1 and 2 respectively. No gauge was needed, it was leaking out that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanerrx View Post
      I put cylinders 1-4 on TDC and put my air compressor in 4 and I could feel air coming out of 3. Same with 1 and 2 respectively. No gauge was needed, it was leaking out that much.
      TDC with both valves closed (compression stroke)?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        TDC with both valves closed (compression stroke)?
        I don't understand your question. What is compression stroke? And wouldn't both valves be closed automatically if it were at TDC?

Comment

Suck squeeze bang and blow.
          It's what makes the world go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And wouldn't both valves be closed automatically if it were at TDC?
            No. It takes two revolutions of the crankshaft to complete all four cycles necessary for the engine to function. One, TDC both valves are closed and on the other the exhaust valve is open.

Suction
            Compression
            Power stroke
            Cylinder evacuation.

Comment

I ......And wouldn't both valves be closed automatically if it were at TDC?
              Nope, this is a 4 stroke, it's at TDC twice in cycle ,once for the compression stroke and then at end of exhaust stroke when exhaust is open (and intake a wee bit)
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Nope, this is a 4 stroke, it's at TDC twice in cycle ,once for the compression stroke and then at end of exhaust stroke when exhaust is open (and intake a wee bit)
                Well ****. I just figured it I were on the T mark that everything would be closed up. I'll give it another try this afternoon when I'm doing a couple other tests.

Comment

Well ****. I just figured it I were on the T mark that everything would be closed up. I'll give it another try this afternoon when I'm doing a couple other tests.
                  just curious, why not use a compression tester instead of your compressor and feel?
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    just curious, why not use a compression tester instead of your compressor and feel?
                    Did the test again with the pistons and valves in the compression stroke instead of the time around that the exhaust is open and there was no leak coming out of the other spark plug hole. I need to take the carbs and exhaust pipes off with the oil cap off too and do it again to try and listen for leaks properly but I'll save that for another day.

The reason I just did it by feel was because if I can feel the air shooting out of the other spark plug hole I know there is a leak (or thought there was). At that point it wouldn't really matter how much the leak was leaking. It would need to be addressed no matter what it read on the compression gauge. I hope that answers your question. I did use the compression gauge to test the compression earlier and it read low. That's why I went to the air compressor, to find where it was leaking. If that's what you were asking.

Also, my compression gauge suddenly won't hold the needle to the highest amount of compression. So I'm wishfully thinking that my compression gauge if faulty.

Comment

When you pressurise the cylinder do you lock the crank, cause otherwise she'll turn and start shifting valves.
                      I reckon/hope it is the tester - the readings are too even.
                      There is an old RFC preflight check list round here somewhere. It says that if you don't get the full revs against the chocks the inexperienced pilot sends for the mechanic to check the motor, the experienced pilot asks the tacho be changed.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        When you pressurise the cylinder do you lock the crank, cause otherwise she'll turn and start shifting valves.
                        I reckon/hope it is the tester - the readings are too even.
                        There is an old RFC preflight check list round here somewhere. It says that if you don't get the full revs against the chocks the inexperienced pilot sends for the mechanic to check the motor, the experienced pilot asks the tacho be changed.
                        The gauge is for sure not working properly. One attachment lets the air back out cause the needle to just bounce up and down and the other leaks air at the rubber part near the head causing it to not get the full pressure. I'm putting some gasket seal around the rubber part and letting it set over night. Hoping it stops the leak. We'll see, just because the gauge isn't working right doesn't mean the cylinders are so I've got to figure something else out.

Comment

Do you have an Autozone/Pep Boys/NAPA nearby? They might have programs to loan out tools...
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Just wondering do you have C/V carbs on the bike
                            My stable
                            84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                            85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                            88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                            98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                            90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                            06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                            00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                              Just wondering do you have C/V carbs on the bike
                              I don't think so. Not really sure what constitutes a C/V carb but it looks like it has something to do with a diaphragm and my carbs don't have diaphragms. The only marking on the carbs says Mikuni. Does this tell you anything?

Comment

A 1979 GS850G uses VM series carburetors.

Comment

Working...
                                X