Front Wheel wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Wheel wobble

The last few months I started to feel a little wobble in the front wheel on my 82GS 1100 mostly at slower speeds-in turns. I haven't wrecked or run it into anything. The tires are a few years old but have a lot of tread left on them. If I take my hands off the bars for a second they shake side to side. I am wondering if I need a fork brace???

The wheel doesn't seem to have any play at the bearings or axle and the rim seems to be running true.

Make sure the pressure is correct. Next make sure all fasteners are tight. Wheel axle, top and bottom triple tree bolts. Then I would tighten the steering stem.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

you might delete this thread and place it here:

you will get more information offered IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesp View Post
        The last few months I started to feel a little wobble in the front wheel on my 82GS 1100 mostly at slower speeds-in turns. I haven't wrecked or run it into anything. The tires are a few years old but have a lot of tread left on them. If I take my hands off the bars for a second they shake side to side. I am wondering if I need a fork brace???

The wheel doesn't seem to have any play at the bearings or axle and the rim seems to be running true.
        Just fixed same problem on mine. Tightened the steering stem a bit.
        GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
        1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
        1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Make sure the pressure is correct. Next make sure all fasteners are tight. Wheel axle, top and bottom triple tree bolts. Then I would tighten the steering stem.
          I would check these things first and if the problem still exists i would head to the rear end and do the same thing.
          Worn tire, wrong air pressure, loose axle bolt, worn swingarm bearings MIGHT transfer to the front end.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks
            Been working really long hours and just had a chance to check. I'll get started checking things out. Sorry about being in the wrong area. I was on an unfamiliar computer with a different web access, plus the new look after a long day I was close to delirious.

Comment

Tire pressure, wheel bearings, and steering head bearings. And even swing arm bearings can play a role...so go there too.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm surprised that fork oil and seals hasn't been mentioned yet.
                Different damping between the forks or a leg that is sticking slightly can cause these symptoms.

Is there any visible oil leaks on the front end?
                Worth a check IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Crank View Post
                  Different damping between the forks or a leg that is sticking slightly can cause these symptoms.
                  Is that true?

I recently read that when everything is fastened correctly, the two forks act as a single unit. That some bikes have the compression in one leg, the rebound in the other.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Is that true?

I recently read that when everything is fastened correctly, the two forks act as a single unit. That some bikes have the compression in one leg, the rebound in the other.

mmmm, you may be right there, all the bikes I have serviced the front end the comp and rebound have been on both legs.
                    Saying that they have all been post 90's bikes so could be wrong on older bikes.

Comment

Most low or uneven fluid levels in the forks results in the steering dragging to one side or the other and not a wobble.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Is that true?

In theory they work together as a single unit. On 80's era bikes that is less true because of the skinny axles used, there is a lot of flexing possible. A fork brace helps a lot with this. Current sport bikes have very large diameter axles and serious clamping to hold everything straight.

Originally posted by Crank View Post
                        mmmm, you may be right there, all the bikes I have serviced the front end the comp and rebound have been on both legs.
                        Saying that they have all been post 90's bikes so could be wrong on older bikes.
                        I believe the current Kawasaki MX bikes have rebound in one leg and compression in the other. Some roadracing forks are like this as well. I know Max from Traxxion Dynamics did some testing with this a number of years ago. He went so far as to try running only one fork spring. His results were that current forks were fine with separated damping functions but needed a spring in each fork leg to prevent stiction and binding problems.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Would be keen to get info as I have an early 80's GS750E (first gen GSX as it was sold here) that I got for the price of transporting it to my place (my original post from last year has been deleted) which I will be restoring soon.
                          Maybe not relevant but I had a bike once that wanted to shake me off the bars on almost every corner, developing a serious case of weave in the corners and tank slap under hard acceleration!
                          Traced it to leaking fork seal and low oil on the one side.
                          Checked and re-checked stem, axle and associated front end bits before eventually diagnosing it correctly.
                          Anyway, apologies if I have hi-jacked this thread in any way!

Comment

Working...
                          X