Gear Oil Leak after re-installing Rear Wheel assembly - 1980 GS850GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Oil Leak after re-installing Rear Wheel assembly - 1980 GS850GT

I just finished up my complete brake system rebuild and upgrade, and also a complete wheel bearing and steering stem bearing replacement on my 1980 GS850GT....

First, THANK YOU to all of who contributed info, advice, ribbing, etc., while I was gathering the parts and info to perform all these updates. These, combined with the new Shinko 230's, really improved the bikes ride-ability. I'll post some pics once I get them downloaded. Turned out great.

Unfortunately, in re-installing the rear wheel assembly, I think I may have damaged the seal for the rear gears. I'm printing out some pages from the manual (THANKS BASSCLIFF!) to do some reading to see what's actually in there. In the meantime, what is happening is that, after riding for a bit, there is a bit of gear-oil on the rim, and it drips out of the rear case from between the wheel and the gear-housing. It was worse after the first 25-minute ride than it was at the end of the return trip.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next day or so, but I'm assuming that I'm going to be tearing it apart again to replace a seal??

Anyone have any experience or knowledge that will miraculously save me from having to R&R this again? Residual oil? Grease in an air passage??

Thanks,

I'm amazed that my 650 pumpkin is still not leaking . It's a impressive device- here's a pic of its parts to wet your appetite!image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      I'm amazed that my 650 pumpkin is still not leaking . It's a impressive device- here's a pic of its parts to wet your appetite![ATTACH=CONFIG]35670[/ATTACH]
      UUgggh!

And, it looks like you have to take a bit apart to get to that inner seal, which is $35.00 at Bike-Bandit... Uugh...

Comment

BTW, Bike Bandit has some of the highest prices on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          BTW, Bike Bandit has some of the highest prices on the web.
          Bike BANDIT ...huh....?!?
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Guys... I don't generally buy from Bike Bandit unless there is no other option. However, they are a quick resource for seeing what parts are required. They have the parts schematics tied right to the parts list and prices. Easy for research.

I usually order from Z1.

I just want my bike fixed, not an opportunity to bash BB.

Comment

Actually, they all do. And all the others use proper Suzuki part numbers so comparison is easier. Here is an example: Partzilla

Comment

OK, so, as mysteriously as the "leak" appeared, it seems to have disappeared. I cleaned things up, ran the bike for another hour or so, and it's dry as can be.

I've checked ALL of the fluid levels, etc. Everything is clean and full.

I did a bunch of cleaning, etc. I also reapplied grease to the inner gears. I wonder if I might have inadvertantly blocked, with the grease, the air venting system, causing the fluid to be pushed out under pressure?

Either way, I'll keep an eye on it, but for now, it seems to be corrected.

Comment

As you surmised, the air venting in the final drive can get blocked and cause leaks. Overfilling can also cause a leak until the issue takes care of itself -- it doesn't take much.

Of course, it's also possible for the large seal around the drive spline to get damaged. Too much moly paste can abrade the seal, and if the driven spline in the wheel has failed, bits of metal can get in there. Fortunately, this seal is pretty easy to replace without disassembling the final drive. (There's also an o-ring inside the FD, but the odds are near zero that this could suddenly start leaking, unless you decided to take the FD apart one day). Just pop out the seal with a puller or lever, then visit your nearest plumbing department. Poke around and you'll find a large PVC fitting that works perfectly as a seal driver.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Well... I spoke too soon. Doesn't leak on shorter trips, but 20-minutes down the freeway and it seems to still be leaking.

I've checked the level and it's normal. In fact, it's right were it was before I took things apart (having ridden it for over 10,000 miles without issue).

I'm going to just assume that I've damaged the inside seal on the splines and go through the steps of replacing the seal. Splines, by the way, looked really good. Minimal wear. Bike only has 30,000 on it, the last 12,000 or so by me.

Comment

Working...
                    X