1977 gs750 Motor troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 gs750 Motor troubles

I recently bought a 77 gs750 ratted out bike love it to death needs a few things but the motor itself is probably shot the guy i got it from claims 2 of the 4 cylinders are stuck and if i could free them up the bike would run perfect something i am doubtful of he said he ran it and it bogs at 50mph and he checked the plugs two are clean the other two are black and burnt i haven't done a compression test yet would like to get some thoughts / advice before i toss money down the drain getting the test done then replacing the motor anyway

Dude, if it runs and you keep oil in there, it will keep running. To go out of trouble, go down the route recommended here for new members, you shouldn't be wasting money
    I let mentors forward you to the welcome and homeworks papers.

Comment

I did check that site and the FAQ and nothing really in my problem area also it bogs so hard at 50mph i can't take it on the highway it sort of needs a fix lol

Comment

Get a newer bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If i had no kids no wife and a **** ton of money i would

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdi View Post
            I recently bought a 77 gs750 ratted out bike love it to death needs a few things but the motor itself is probably shot the guy i got it from claims 2 of the 4 cylinders are stuck and if i could free them up the bike would run perfect something i am doubtful of he said he ran it and it bogs at 50mph and he checked the plugs two are clean the other two are black and burnt i haven't done a compression test yet would like to get some thoughts / advice before i toss money down the drain getting the test done then replacing the motor anyway
            So he's had this thing running on the highway, but two of the cylinders are stuck? Stuck on what? If he meant frozen in place, then you'd have big chunks of aluminum all over the floor as soon as it started up.

Have you done any maintenance to it at all? Did the previous owner? Go here:

Download the service manual for your bike. Read the "routine maintenance" chapter (usually chapter two in the Suzuki manuals). Perform a valve adjustment.

You have picked up a bike that has been bobbed, chopped, or whatever the hell it's called now. The previous owner (or whoever did this) probably didn't do $hit to the bike to get it running correctly, and undoubtedly made things worse with his mods. I see it has pods and straight pipes, so the carburetor jetting is assuredly nowhere near to being correct. That bike is old enough to have a points ignition, I'm sure the points need adjusting as well.

The engine is the last thing I would suspect to be the root cause of your issues. Poorly executed modifications to the fuel and exhaust systems, coupled with poor maintenance on the ignition system are the first things I would look at correcting, as well as checking valve clearances.

At least your bobber runs, albeit poorly. Most of the "custom bobbers" I see for sale on Craigslist can't even be started.
            Last edited by Griffin; 08-05-2014, 03:14 PM.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

that was the most concise and helpful forum post i have ever read dude thank you so much i will do all this and get back to you i have tomorrow off so i should have plenty of time

he did rejet the carbs although he admitted very poorly it does have straight pipes which i am going change as soon as i get some cash I'm putting in 50 hours at work this week so my new toy will be dressed up a little better

Comment

that was the most concise and helpful forum post i have ever read dude thank you so much i will do all this and get back to you i have tomorrow off so i should have plenty of time

he did rejet the carbs although he admitted very poorly it does have straight pipes which i am going change as soon as i get some cash I'm putting in 50 hours at work this week so my new toy will be dressed up a little better
                Fair enough.

By the way, the manual on Cliff's site is titled "GS750 8 valve".

You are starting deeper in the hole than if the bike was stock, but hopefully the customizer didn't hack up the wiring system too much. That's usually where these boobers go wrong off the get go.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

got my first spin on it today thing got 6 miles to the gallon i think the valves are fine but he jetted it so badly its just pumping fuel through the motor so I'm gonna start with the carbs

Comment

Which two were clean and which two were working. Can check once started if all the pipes are getting hot or not

Comment

too late to dig into it tonight he said 2 and 3 so I'm guessing the center two

Comment

too late to dig into it tonight he said 2 and 3 so I'm guessing the center two
                        I'm guessing all 4
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                          I'm guessing all 4
                          when he checked the carbs two came up clean the other two were burnt but yeah starting to think they are just really really off

Comment

You need to pull the carbs and check out what jets are in them. You also need to dismantle them and clean them per this procedure:

sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Working...
                            X