Screw on Oil Filter Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw on Oil Filter Adapter

I went through the ordeal of an oil change the other day, and I must say it was terrible. I went through rounded out acorn nuts, crushing a gasket, etc. It shouldn't take me that long again, but I there has got to be a better way. This has got me to thinking. Why couldn't you convert the open filter element into a modern screw on type deal? Basically bolt a frame the current studs that holds a cylinder over the current oil intake, and would have threads for a screw on oil filter on the other side.

Questions:
    1. Is there anything like this currently out there?
    2. How do the oil filter wells on the bike's compare to one another. Would a single size adapter fit all, or would it be necessary to machine different sizes for different years/ccs
    3. What kind of flow are we talking here? What type screw on filter would it be necessary to use in order to gain equivalent or better performance from stock?
    4. Is anyone else interested in this sort of thing? I may be the only one nostalgic for the days of ten minute oil changes with a piece of junk (as far as most of the engineering goes) bike like a buell blast.

(Also in a semi related note does anyone know the nut thread type for the oil filter studs? I used 6m .75 pitch, but that was only because it went on with the least effort. 6M 1.0 pitch didn't seem to fit at all.)

This thought has come up before, but the oil system on the 8-valve GS engines with roller bearing cranks operates with very little pressure. There simply aren't any spin-on filters that will work with low pressure oiling.

On other GS models (16V engines that use plain bearings and high-pressure oil) I've seen an arrangement that plumbed an oil filter in line with an oil cooler. No idea how well it worked, and on some 16V models oil flow to the head is already somewhat marginal -- introducing another restriction in the form of an external filter and plumbing might not be the greatest idea.

The stock filter works fine. Changing it will become much easier with a little experience and when you replace the studs for your oil filter cover. They're 6mm X 1.0 pitch. Order new studs and nuts from Suzuki. Or you can find M6 studs that are a bit longer many other places and use open nuts.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

2 of my studs came out on one oil change so I now just use stainless allen head bolts with lock washers, works just fine

Comment

And clean the oring groove with some carb spray to de oil it. Then a few strategically placed dabs of RTV will hold the oring into the groove and prevent it from coming out and getting pinched. And if your bike doesnt have the sump drain plug in the cover..like it should..get a new cover and drain the sump for a while before removing the cover.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nebraska.....you may want to go back to the studs and red loctite them in..heres why. The steel screws going in and out a lot will chew up the aluminum in the case and eventually your chit out of luck. The nut and stud arrangement eliminates the cases from being chewed up or cross threading them.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
            2 of my studs came out on one oil change so I now just use stainless allen head bolts with lock washers, works just fine
            You really would be better off installing the studs while the soft aluminum of the engine case still has some threads left. They will strip and then you will need to helicoil them.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
            X