No announcement yet.

Valve adjustment tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was right at 50° when I got up this morning. That's only 18° above freezing!

Re riding in such bitter weather, my '79 had a Vetter with lowers and it makes a world of difference in the winter. The lowers funnel the warm engine air up and keeps the cold slipstream off of the legs. I intended to put the Vetter on the '82 but figuring out the wiring spaghetti behind the headlight put me off. I was afraid of messing up my new bike. I've lived through three winters now with just a Memphis Shades windscreen that came with the '82 so I'll probably just leave it as it is.

I'll go looking for BassCliff's ziptie tutorial. The one I have is downloaded onto the computer and don't remember where I got it.

Thanks,

Mike
    1982 GS850G
    1979 GS850G parts bike

Comment

My GS850GL had a Slipstream Turbo windshield and that's it. I ride year around in the Atlanta Georgia area. I know it's in the south, but we see single digit temps here too. Just bundle up, suck it up and RIDE!!!!

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It may be 18 degrees above freezing but that's 18 degrees of fun on two wheels you may not get any other time.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I've never let the dangerously bone-chilling arctic temperatures we get here in San Diego stop me from using the bike everyday. I do bundle up to run my errands. I certainly don't ride for fun when it's so cold . . . in fact I never ride "for fun" anymore at all. Just running around doing my daily transportation is plenty of fun since there's nothing like being on two wheels to wake the brain and nerves up from whatever state of dormancy they might be in. Also, always finding easy parking and always being able to make headway between the lanes no matter how far traffic is backed up is very fun. I always use my bike unless it's raining so hard (extremely rare around here) that getting that wet would be ridiculous, or if I have to carry something really large and heavy, or if I have to go some distance out of town.

My GS's have always started easily and run smoothly and always get me there and back, even with an occasional broken clutch cable over the years. I can't say enough good about them.

Even so, I'd like to have a Beemer someday.

Mike

Comment

Just checkin' in. I've gotten de-registered twice over the years for allowing long periods to go by without activity on my part. So this post is insurance to prevent having to register yet again . . . and also to report, head hanging very low, that it's been three years since I started this thread and my valves are still not adjusted. I'm so ashamed!

I ride daily but I don't run around winding out the engine. I don't lug it, but I do keep RPM's low as I drive city streets. Freeway of course is 70-90 MPH so it does get some RPM workouts on my trips down to Tijuana to see my dentist. That's 30 miles each way at the higher RPM's of freeway driving.

I got the bike with 17K. Previous owner was a maintenance fanatic so valves were well-adjusted when I got the bike (I assume). So it looks like I've gone 22K without a valve adjustment. Still starts and runs beautifully. Never a problem. These are such bulletproof machines it boggles the mind.

Mike

'79 GS850G - parts bike
            '82 GS850G - daily driver

Comment

Just for comparisons sake, my 850, purchased with 27k miles on it had all eight valves out of spec and was previously owned by a mechanic. I checked and adjusted them initially and again every 4k miles. Now with 40k on the clock maybe they've settled for a bit. This last time they didn't move enough to change any shims.

I think cowboy posted a video last year showing the procedure.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
              X