Valve adjustment on a 16v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment on a 16v

So I'm getting ready to do the valve adjustment on my 16v engine and I've never done this before and have questions. I've been reading through BikeCliffs instructions and the fist thing I notice is almost all of the valves won't even let me push in the smallest gauge which is .203mm. Could everyone of the valves need adjusted because they are all so tight? Also, I've read a lot about the shims, but BikeCliff's document only states to loosing the locking nut to make the adjustment. Is this all I need to do so I don't have to buy the shims?

no shims...
    if a .003 will go and a .008 won't...
    i wouldn't break the nut loose.
    oh,
    those little nuts...if you don't get them REALLY tight they will come loose and reek havoc in your engine.

Comment

If your smallest feeler gauge is a .203mm, ... STOP.

Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Spend about $10 or so and get a PROPER feeler gauge set and stop using the metric APPROXIMATIONS that are printed on your INCH feelers.

You say you have been reading the procedure, did you notice that the recommended clearance is 0.08 - 0.13mm? You are using a feeler that is almost twice as thick as the maximum clearance, so you really have NO idea what your clearance is. There is a decent chance that they are in-spec. Hey, they could all be LOOSE, and in the 0.15 - 0.18mm range, but you would think they are tight because you are using a feeler that is WAY to big.

Your bike does not use shims, but I almost have a feeling that they might be easier for you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought possibly the gauge was too big o I was reading it incorrectly, but I guess the fact that there was almost no space whatsoever was making me second guess myself. I will get a proper gauge today and perform the measurement. If I do need to make the adjustments all I need to do is loosen the nut, back out the adjustment od to the correct level and tighten the nut again correct?

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
          If I do need to make the adjustments all I need to do is loosen the nut, back out the adjustment od to the correct level and tighten the nut again correct?
          And double check to make sure the "screw" didn't turn when you tighten the nut. Did you already make yourself a special tool with a square headed wood screw screwed part way into a wooden dowel? I like to make 2 tools and have 2 gauges and loosen both valves on the arm, making both adjustments at the same time.

Also these feeler gauges at Z1 are great.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

These are called Tappet style adjusters.
            I use a 9mm closed end wrench and a small (very small) pair of pliers.
            The tool is much easier but I've been doing it this way for years.
            Motion Pro makes a great tool for this and it's worth the small investment.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I appreciate all the good information and I will be making the wood/screw tool shortly. When making the adjustments if I need to stay within the 0.08 - 0.13mm limits is it best to get all the adjustment the exact same? Is it best to get in the lower, higher end of the range or aim for the middle.

Comment

Anywhere in the range will be fine. Some are anal enough to set them all EXACTLY the same, but it's not necessary.

Personally, I would set them on the loose side, it tends to enhance low- and mid-range torque, but at the expense of losing a pony or two at the top end. I spend more time a low and mid RPM, so it's a good trade for me.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  no shims...
                  if a .003 will go and a .008 won't...
                  i wouldn't break the nut loose.
                  oh,
                  those little nuts...if you don't get them REALLY tight they will come loose and reek havoc in your engine.

Comment

Good thing I bought the right tool because all measured between .09mm and .10mm so no adjustments are needed. Before I button up the valve cover is there anything else I should take a look at as far as maintenance items or common upgades/mods? thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                    X