Need Help With Bad Motor Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With Bad Motor Noise

OK I got a 1981 Suzuki gs1100e with 26,000 miles on it from my brother for free, (well for working on one of his other bikes.) Three of the exhaust bolts were snapped off and needed to be drill out, but would fire up with starter fluid. I got the exhaust bolt holes drilled and tapped and put exhaust back on the bike. fired it for the first time Saturday and there is a bad rattle/knock coming from the motor, if the motors rpms come up it goes away but as soon as the rpms start to come down close to idle noise come right back. I have changed the oil three times and it comes out really clean not even black and no metal or shaving. I even filtered it trying to find metal. I am going to drain the bike and take both cases covers off and drop the oil pan this weekend. Any help with what I need to look for would be great. I have gotten attached to the looks and the feel. I will swap the motor if needed but would like to fix whatever this is.

Clutch hub rattle possible. Springs on the reverse of the hub loose. Sound goes away with raise in rpm. The whole hub could be loose too.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I would also look into the cam chain and tensioner. Also carb sync. The carbs out of sync will also make it surge and run crappy as well as idle like a diesel.

Comment

I sync the carbs today and there were a little out but not bad at all. I think the air fuel is a little off. I am hoping it is the clutch bolt, But it is louder on the stator side of the motor. I will look into the cam chain and tensioner. It does sound like something rubbing and rattling not sure what it could be, but it sounds bad. Worried the bottom end is damaged.

Comment

starter clutch going south will sound like the engine is full of rocks...

Comment

what part of the world are you from?

Comment

Tennessee, USA. That is what it sounds like too like there is something. And I also notice it cranked funny. Yesterday. I have a lot I will be looking into this weekend!

Comment

I just checked and retorqued my clutch hub nut due to a rattle. Issue solved in my case. I didnt even drain the oil. I just used the side stand and pulled the cover and went ahead and checked everything to spec while I was in there. This was on my 11e btw.

Comment

It could be a broken starter clutch bolt.
                  Ray.

Comment

I think I may be something with the starter, because it spins/ makes that whining noise. Whenever I cut the motor off, And The clutch nut too, because when I start to let the clutch out with the bike in gear the noise stops, but just for a second. Then you can hear it again. I will be tearing it down tomorrow will let you know what I find. How would I know if the clutch nut is bad. If it is loose???? How would I be able to tell if there is anything wrong with the starter???

Comment

Wish me luck draining oil now. About to go through the motor, Well there is a first time for everything never been in a Suzuki this old.

Comment

Let us know how it goes. I'll be doing the same on my 1100G over the next few days.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

ok drained oil, pulled tank, carbs, clutch cover, stator cover, valve cover. I found the clutch nut was just a little loose, so I tightened it and reset the keeper. So I hope that's good. I also found the bolt that holds the stator rotor magnet on was also loose. Tightened that too. I also checked the cam shaft sensor. That looked and moved fine. Now the last thing I did was I took the oil pan off. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! There is slug in there so thick I could pick it up and it felt like jelly. I am freaking about this find. This stuff is thick enough to clog anything like the oil pump. I also found some white look crap behind the clutch cover. How would I go about trying to flush the motor of this crap?? Any Ideas

Comment

I also took valve cover off to check valves and found rust on some of the lobs of both cam shafts. Any thoughts on why its there and what I should do about this.

Comment

Working...
                            X