No announcement yet.

Oil Change gone WRONG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been away from this thread for a while. Wanted to pop in to say: there's actually a procedure for checking the oil level and it's in your service manual. You do have to pop it up on the center stand (on a level surface) but it's not easy as just reading it when the engine is cold and definitely not while it's running.

and for the first time ever my clutch slipped between 4-5
    Yeah, if your clutch slipped, it's not the Rotella T. Wait... what do you mean between 4 and 5?
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      Been away from this thread for a while. Wanted to pop in to say: there's actually a procedure for checking the oil level and it's in your service manual. You do have to pop it up on the center stand (on a level surface) but it's not easy as just reading it when the engine is cold and definitely not while it's running.

Yeah, if your clutch slipped, it's not the Rotella T. Wait... what do you mean between 4 and 5?
      Interesting... I've been told by several guys with more experience than I to check the oil level with the bike OFF the center stand. However, after closely reviewing my owners manual, it says nothing about taking the bike off the center stand before checking the oil after a change. So I'll be sure to check it with the bike up on the center stand and see what it reads. 'Between 4-5' referred to between fourth and fifth gear. After all the reassurance here, I'm going to assume the Rotella T was not the culprit so that's reassuring...

Comment

On the center stand on level ground for all GS's. I believe the manual says to start up the engine, run it for a short time and then shut it down. Wait a specified amount of time and then check the oil level through the window. I'm assuming that the reason for starting the engine first is to ensure that the oil filter compartment and all passages are filled with oil. That would take into count a dry filter after a fresh oil filter change.

If you're saying the clutch slips when going into 5th gear, then you may want to replace the clutch springs. They're cheap enough and after 30+ years they do tend to get a little weak. Go OEM on the springs for best feel.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X