1100 Kat shifts when off but not when running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 Kat shifts when off but not when running

Got my 1100 Katana running. Doesn't seem to want to shift when running but does when off. Ive put the bike in every gear & started it & the clutch works fine. Its been setting for a while, anyone have any ideas ? I just have a portable tank on it so I cant run it thru first & try it, but it wont go into first when running either

So if you start in neutral it won't shift into 1st once the engine is started? What happens if you try to shift it? If you start it in gear does the engine push you down the road when you have the clutch lever pulled in or does it just sit there until you let out the clutch?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I think JTGS is alluding to the potential of the clutch plates being stuck together. How long did the bike sit?
      I had that problem when i first got mine running after a 12 year nap.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You can put it in first gear and then start it and it wont move, then if you let out the clutch it will. Maybe it just needs to run some more, its been a year since it ran and it wasn't ridden then, it was just to synch the carbs. Ill try it again tomorrow, thanks for the help

Comment

I think you guys nailed it with the sticking clutch plates. I played with the clutch lever while pushing the shift lever in & out and it finally clunked into first gear. Its going into the other gears now too and shifting easier. I think Ill try adjusting the clutch too but it doesn't feel too bad. Thanks again, seems to be working after that one big clunk into first

Comment

Working...
          X