Gear Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Problems

Went to go to work this morning was going along in first gear then all of a sudden I had no gears. There is a whirring noise like something spinning inside of a gear. Will tear it apart soon. Am I looking at the spline do you think? I have never even attempted to take a rear wheel off but I am going to try.
    83 gs850
    07 vtx1300c

Sounds like it's a bit late to lube the splines.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Got it apart. It looks like splines to me. Will check out threads as this has been done before. Just some quick questions. Does it usually do anything to the final drive splines? And what is the best way to clean things out , I do see metal shavings
      83 gs850
      07 vtx1300c

Comment

I am now in a search for rear splines anyone that has a good set they would like to sell let me know. Thanks
        83 gs850
        07 vtx1300c

Comment

After a couple of recent posts on this issue, I decided to check mine this evening thankfully all was good cleaned up a re - lubed.

Comment

The drive splines (the ones in the final drive) are almost certainly fine. A little scuffed, but perfectly usable.

If you'd rather just get this over with, the driven spline unit in the wheel is only about $140 brand new from several online vendors of Suzuki parts. If you want to save a few bucks and have the time to fart around with fleaBay, there's a list in another thread of which bikes to look for if you want to try and find a good used one.

Lots and lots of threads on splines around here. Here's one of the latest:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks I did bite the bullet and ordered new ones, waiting for them to come thanks for everyone's help
              83 gs850
              07 vtx1300c

Comment

Working...
              X