Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had any luck unscrewing an oil filter stud on a GS1150 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had any luck unscrewing an oil filter stud on a GS1150 ?

Another stripped out stud on my 1150 from the PO. Anyone had any luck unscrewing the studs that hold the oil filter cover on a GS1150 ? Cant for the life of me figure out how someone could strip one out but it is, at least its the bottom one. I have visions of breaking a piece out of the block and being up ****s creek trying to unscrew it

I think they have threadlock on em.
    You would need to heat them to weaken this.

Comment

Sure the threads on the stud are gone..its usually the acorn nut that goes. If the stud threads are decent enough you can out on 2 nuts and jam them together, using the inside one to unscrew the stud. If the studs jacked, then some vice grips will do the trick. Red loctite the new one in.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The threads on the stud are totally screwed , the nut is gone. It doesn't seem to leak at all but I like things to be right. I think Ill get a propane torch and go about it gently with vise grips unless anyone has a better idea. Thanks for the help

Comment

This happens to every GS sooner or later -- Suzuki made those stupid studs out of cheddar cheese.

A little heat to soften the thread locking compound and some vice grips is all you need. You don't need to get it red hot. And honestly, I've removed many of these with just the vice-grips.

New OEM studs are cheap, or perhaps you can find a good hardware store or independent auto store with some 6mm studs that are long enough.

If you don't have studs on hand or easily available, just TEMPORARILY replace the studs with 6mm screws (I think 25mm is the correct thread length), order up some studs and nuts, and replace the bolts with the studs and nuts next time you change the oil.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Funny my engine case bolts are the right thread and size for the holes.
            Oh well good luck I replaced one a while back and managed to drop it into the well of the oil pan. I managed to blast it out with a hit of the startrer button. It shot out nicely but I suggest you stuff a clean rag in there prior to working on the stud.

Comment

Got lucky, it came out with no heat and I got a stud at a bolt store. Lock tited it in and put a regular nut on it until I can track down one of those castle nuts that came on it, Thanks for the help, very much appreciated. I should have read Jeeprustys thread first but no problems

Comment

Just use good nuts and a flat washer. Those acorn nuts suck a$s
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

squirrels really hate them.

Comment

Working...
                  X