looking for tool to remove valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for tool to remove valves

Hi all, I have an '83 1100ED and I'm looking to remove the valves. I found a tool from Z1 that costs $160. I'm hoping there is something cheaper than that? Would appreciate any help. Also, any idea if I would need a "seal puller" as well? Thanks
    1983 GS1100E

Google up: DIY valve removing tool. Basically with a hacksaw, a peice of 1/4" PVC pipe and a big enough C-clamp you can make your own good-enough valve spring compressor.

Most valve guide seals will pop off with a good tug, or the gentle use of a pair of plyers.

Comment

there are cheaper tools out there that are user friendly..
      i would hate to fumble around with a C clamp when doing 16 valves...

Comment

I agree with you. I love and cherish my Kowaseki. But if you are only going to do them once (well.... twice, take 'em out and put 'em in), and you're on a budget, you can't be cheap or free.

Comment

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

After doing that for years and many heads, I finally bought a motion pro valve spring compressor for something like $28 or so, a thousand times easier to use than c clamps and mutilated sockets.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

True but if it is only a 1 time thing then I see the c-clamp as a viable option. Everybody either has or will have a c-clamp in the garage.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! I do have a large c-clamp, so I'll be trying that out.
                1983 GS1100E

Comment

You guys rock! I made the tool and had all the valves out in maybe an hour. Thanks!
                  1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    After doing that for years and many heads, I finally bought a motion pro valve spring compressor for something like $28 or so, a thousand times easier to use than c clamps and mutilated sockets.
                    $28 seems very fair to me, but Motion Pro lists the tool for $119.99. Is this the one you bought: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0247

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                    X