No announcement yet.

81 GS750E Really hard pull clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to be sure and post my results in case someone else has a similar problem. I think the biggest hint to me, pointing to the cable, is that if you pull the lever slowly I could feel a roughness and actually saw the cable sheath kind of jump as I went past the rough area. I guess sometimes you can get a defective part even when new.

My 2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited had a rough feeling cable with only 12k miles when I bought it. The HD dealer gave me a new cable and that fixed it. So my advice is to replace the cable if it feels rough even though it's a new part.

Comment

Oh and the creeping when stopped and impossible to put into neutral while the engine was running. I solved that by removing the entire clutch pack and inspecting all 8 friction plates. I found the inner two or three plates were dry. Not doubt from sitting so long and water in the oil. When I reassembled the clutch plates I first soaked them in motorcycle motor oil for a few minutes then put them in following the proper order. Just like you would do with new clutch plates and steels.

Comment

Working...
      X