Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GZ Dog Cam removal

Hello,
    Currently have my GS850GZ crankcase split, replacing the oil seals between the engine oil and the transmission.
    I need to remove the stoppers from the spring on the dog cam to gain access to the seal that is located in the dog cam and the seal that sits directly behind the output cam dog.
    I have searched high and low for the special tool "dog cam stopper set tool" Suzuki part #09924-44510, to no avail.

Has anyone removed this spring before?.........any tips on how to remove it without the special tool? (I'd buy one but I don't think there's one for sale anywhere on the planet!)
    I checked with my local dealer here in Australia who has been supplying all the parts for my rebuild and they don't have one that they could even loan me.

Looks like I'm up to fabricating something, but if anyone's done this before, tips would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    LJR47

The pic and instructions in the manual are a marvel of vagueness, aren't they?

For those playing along at home, here's what this mysterious tool looks like:

That spring is very strong. Not something to trifle with.

Do you have some better pics of what you're dealing with? I'd definitely be figuring out a way to fabricate a tool.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Can you use a lathe and tail stock to unload the pressure on the spring??? I have done it on the shaft drive models.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
      X