Smoking coming from engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking coming from engine?

Bought a 1977 Gs750 last week. Has 19,200 miles.Rode it 15 miles home. Bike was smoking out of the engine. Ran poorly and didn't want to rev above 5k. Anyone ever heard of this? Could it be a head gasket or bigger problems? I changed the oil,plugs and cleaned the carbs. Probably should have addressed the smoke first. Going to do a compression test tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Bought a 1977 Gs750 last week. Has 19,200 miles.Rode it 15 miles home. Bike was smoking out of the engine. Ran poorly and didn't want to rev above 5k. Anyone ever heard of this? Could it be a head gasket or bigger problems? I changed the oil,plugs and cleaned the carbs. Probably should have addressed the smoke first. Going to do a compression test tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Where is the smoke coming from?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

"smoking out of the engine" you'll have to be a bit more specific than that. Was it smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes or was smoke actually coming from the engine area? was the smoke blue or white? the compression numbers will good to see. These bikes are pretty easy to work on no matter what the issue. Welcome to the forum.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's not coming out the exhaust but the engine it self. I'm having trouble pin pointing the exact location it's coming from. The smoke is not blue.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          "smoking out of the engine" you'll have to be a bit more specific than that. Was it smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes or was smoke actually coming from the engine area? was the smoke blue or white? the compression numbers will good to see. These bikes are pretty easy to work on no matter what the issue. Welcome to the forum.
          I thought about asking what color, but there should be no way of getting white smoke from an air cooled engine.
          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Oil leak then. You'll have to clean off the engine first to figure out where it's coming from. Could be as simple as a valve cover gasket or as bad as a base or head gasket leak. All are fixable. Clean the engine and start hunting, should be easy to find. If it's a tinny leak and hard to find some people clean then use some baking soda in the area they think it's coming from and start the bike up for a short time, minutes, and then look at the powder.
            Rob
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's not coming out the exhaust but the engine it self. I'm having trouble pin pointing the exact location it's coming from. The smoke is white colored.
              I'm not sure how your getting white smoke. it should have a blueish tint. White smoke is usually steam coming from a coolant leak into the cylinder. You have an air cooled engine with no water or coolant. Is the smoke coming from the breather on top of the engine. There is suppose top be a hose running from there to the airbox behind the carbs.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Sometimes people think their bike is 'smoking' from the pipes but then you start asking questions and they say it's 'white smoke' and it turns out they have been running their bike too long in the driveway idling and it's simply the water building up in pipes causing steam.
                Rob

Comment

First off this forum is awesome. Thanks to all for the quick replies. I will post the compression numbers tomorrow and clean the engine and really take a close look for the source of the smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Sometimes people think their bike is 'smoking' from the pipes but then you start asking questions and they say it's 'white smoke' and it turns out they have been running their bike too long in the driveway idling and it's simply the water building up in pipes causing steam.
                    Gotcha. I didn't think about that much condensation building up in exhaust outside of Florida.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      I'm not sure how your getting white smoke. it should have a blueish tint. White smoke is usually steam coming from a coolant leak into the cylinder. You have an air cooled engine with no water or coolant. Is the smoke coming from the breather on top of the engine. There is suppose top be a hose running from there to the airbox behind the carbs.
                      I have the hose to the air box hooked up. I'll take a real close look at the color of the smoke tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Comment

A couple other things to consider while diagnosing. Is your "smoke" happening as soon as you start the bike? While warming up? After sitting in the driveway for 15 minutes? After coming in from a hard run?

Where are you seeing the "smoke"? From the top of the engine? From the front? From behind the cylinders? From the bottom?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI wiring can smoke too. Don't ask how I know.

Any strong smell associated with the smoking?
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Well it doesn't look good. Compression test says:
                            Cyl 1- 90
                            Cyl 2- 80
                            Cyl 3- 80
                            Cyl 4- 90

Plugs are black and dark. The engine is smoking after being ridden around the block. Still can't tell where from. From the valve cover to the air box im seeing smoke. Thoughts on where to go from here are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Well it doesn't look good. Compression test says:
                              Cyl 1- 90
                              Cyl 2- 80
                              Cyl 3- 80
                              Cyl 4- 90

Plugs are black and dark. The engine is smoking after being ridden around the block. Still can't tell where from. From the valve cover to the air box im seeing smoke. Thoughts on where to go from here are greatly appreciated.
                              Not the greatest numbers, but each cylinder is within 10-15% of each other and that is good news. Did you hold the throttle wide open while doing the tests? You can also do a leak down test to see where you're loosing compression. If it is the rings, which could be the cause of the smoke, you'll be able to hear the air escaping in the crankcase by listening in the oil fill hole. If it is the valves you'll hear the air leaking out of the air box or exhaust pipes. I don't remember if you said if you adjusted the valves or not.
                              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X