No announcement yet.

Smoking coming from engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Rick says, the numbers are not all that bad, but a little background is necessary. Did you do the test before or after the trip around the block? It should be done on a warm engine. Was the throttle held wide open? Were ALL the plugs out? Have the valves been adjusted?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      As Rick says, the numbers are not all that bad, but a little background is necessary. Did you do the test before or after the trip around the block? It should be done on a warm engine. Was the throttle held wide open? Were ALL the plugs out? Have the valves been adjusted?

I did the test after riding the bike around and held the throttle open during the test. I have Not adjusted the valves yet. All the plugs were out during the test.

Comment

Your valves are burnt yes indeed they are.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ran the leak down test:
          Cyl 1- getting pressure through oil fill hole
          Cyl 2- getting pressure through oil fill hole
          Cyl 3- leaking through carb and exhaust pipe
          Cyl 4- leaking through exhaust pipe

Not sure where to go from here. New engine? Full rebuild. Just rebuild the head? I think my rings are bad on one and two though

Comment

did you check valve lash yet? dont run engine till you do.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              did you check valve lash yet? dont run engine till you do.
              Haven't ran the motor. Do you thing I should do a valve adjustment before I go and pull the head off?

Comment

If youre hearing air in the oil fill hole thats indicating blow by past the rings. 3 and 4 are indicators of valves leaking. I would adjust the valves and add a good dose of a 50/50 mix of Acetone and any regular transmission fluid into each cylinder and let the sauce soak 2 or 3 days. The sauce will eat up carbon that may be sticking the rings up. Lay a rag on top of the plugs holes and crank it to expel most of the sauce from the cylinders.

Be sure to restart the bike out side because its gonna smoke like a steam engine for a good 10 minutes or more. Then ride the living snot out of it and do some drag runs with it to abuse the rings a bit and get them freed up again. THEN recheck your compression and do another leak down to see if the rings are doing better. Bikes thatb set a while can get stuck rings and cause the leakn down and lower compression numbers.

As for pulling the head. If it were me, I would yank the head because those 30 some year old vave stem seals may be close to end of life. I personally pull the entire top end and do rings and valve stem seals on any bike i get that shows signs of engine weakness. It only takes a day and you can pull the head and jugs with the engine in the frame.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-02-2017, 07:18 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Valve adjustment should be done. At least check clearances to make sure they are not too tight. Tight valves will leak.

How long has it been since the engine ran, and ran HARD? "Around the block" does not count, unless your block is the size of Rhode Island.
                  If the engine has been sitting for a while the cylinder walls might have a bit of surface rust, and the rings might be stuck.
                  Since you heard air through the oil fill, this is quite possible.

Chuck is right about the oil seals being hard, but before you spend a couple hundred dollars on gaskets, make sure your compression numbers are good.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

By ride the snot out of it..find a industrial complex thats closed on weekends and get in there and run it like your on a drag strip for 3 or 4 passes. And of course ride it a while to get it ran through a few heat up / cool down cycles as well. A little abuse goes a long way toward breaking a stuck ring loose and getting it to reseat.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. Going to adjust the valves and try that acetone atf trick mentioned then go out and ride it hard. Will report back in a few days. Just so I know , how much of that mix should I try down each cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Valve adjustment should be done. At least check clearances to make sure they are not too tight. Tight valves will leak.

How long has it been since the engine ran, and ran HARD? "Around the block" does not count, unless your block is the size of Rhode Island.
                        If the engine has been sitting for a while the cylinder walls might have a bit of surface rust, and the rings might be stuck.
                        Since you heard air through the oil fill, this is quite possible.

Chuck is right about the oil seals being hard, but before you spend a couple hundred dollars on gaskets, make sure your compression numbers are good.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        By ride the snot out of it..find a industrial complex thats closed on weekends and get in there and run it like your on a drag strip for 3 or 4 passes. And of course ride it a while to get it ran through a few heat up / cool down cycles as well. A little abuse goes a long way toward breaking a stuck ring loose and getting it to reseat.

An Italian tuneup usually refers to a process whereby a motor vehicle engine is run at full load for extended periods in order to burn carbon buildup from the combustion chambers, spark plugs, and exhaust system.

Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

About 1 ounce or so..get enough in so it gets all around the piston.

Comment

Got the tranny fluid,acetone and picked up some marvel mystery oil to have on hand. Heard lots of good things about it on here. Also, how do I attatch pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
                              ..................... Also, how do I attatch pictures?
                              Will PM (8 9 10)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Will PM (8 9 10)
                                Thank You for that

Comment

Working...
                                X