Permatex oil pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permatex oil pan gasket

Guys, I bought an oil pan gasket from the fleabay, but it's not the right one. One of the bolt holes doesn't have gasket around it. I am wondering, is it advisable to use blue RTV for a gasket?

This is what I have (disregard the tensioner gasket):
    Oil Pan Gasket.jpg

This is what I need. Notice the bolt hole with gasket around it - circled in green.
    s-l1600.jpg

Comment

I think I would see what bike the unusable one actually goes to and sell it. Get a correct gasket is my opinions.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

As far as RTV, Just Say No. It doesn't belong anywhere near your motorcycle.

The gasket on the fiche for the 1982 GS850GL looks like your first photo.
        Shop online for OEM Oil Pump - Oil Filter parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

Less than $9, too.

The exact same gasket is used on all GS750, GS850, GS1000, and GS1100 8-valve engines. Paste in the part number here: 11489-45001-H17

So if you're working on something else, let us know what it is...

Anyway, it looks like 11489-45001 is the original gasket part number, and it has the extra hole like that photo of the red gasket. It's been superceded by 11489-45001-H17, which has a larger hole. In other words, all that extra material isn't needed. There aren't any passages in that area.

In other words, use the black gasket you received. It's fine; it's just an updated gasket.

And DON'T use any RTV. Install dry onto very clean surfaces, or smear on a very thin coating of grease if you like, and the gasket will peel off easily later on (and will most likely be re-usable) should the occasion arise.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

And DON'T use any RTV. Install dry onto very clean surfaces, or smear on a very thin coating of grease if you like, and the gasket will peel off easily later on (and will most likely be re-usable) should the occasion arise.
          Right in principle - but I'd point out that a lot of modern motors are going away from gaskets as such and using sealants instead.
          Threebond is the sealant of choice - but where no oilway crosses the gasket surface, I'd be happy enough using even RTV.

I recently had a latish CBR600 Honda roadrace sidecar engine here which to my surprise only used one gasket - the head joint.
          I imagined that it was a PO who'd deleted them - but a look at the parts fische told me they were never there.

Comment

Gasket replacement RTV products are tough and the ooze out bead doesn't break off easily. These products have been in use going back almost 30 years at this point so it's nothing new. My first experience with them was rebuilding a 1981 Mazda Rotary engine where the oil pan and front cover were both sealed with RTV. I remember struggling with getting all the old RTV off so new could be applied during assembly.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, I don't know where the discrepancy is, I picked up a gasket from a local shop and it matches the pan cover. The gasket that matches the one in the original photo was installed and instant oil leak, this is what started me on possibly using rtv. The bike is a 1982 gs850gl, just like what's in my signature. This isn't the first time a part has been wrong. I ordered the drain tube for the airbox and the part that was shipped had the correct part number, but isn't the same as the original part.

The issue with the "updated gasket" is the bolt in that corner of the cover goes through the bolt hole further away from the edge, the one that was circled.

pan gasket_noexif.jpg

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

The gasket on the fiche for the 1982 GS850GL looks like your first photo.
              Shop online for OEM Oil Pump - Oil Filter parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

Less than $9, too.

The exact same gasket is used on all GS750, GS850, GS1000, and GS1100 8-valve engines. Paste in the part number here: 11489-45001-H17

So if you're working on something else, let us know what it is...

Anyway, it looks like 11489-45001 is the original gasket part number, and it has the extra hole like that photo of the red gasket. It's been superceded by 11489-45001-H17, which has a larger hole. In other words, all that extra material isn't needed. There aren't any passages in that area.

In other words, use the black gasket you received. It's fine; it's just an updated gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
                Guys, I bought an oil pan gasket from the fleabay, but it's not the right one. One of the bolt holes doesn't have gasket around it. I am wondering, is it advisable to use blue RTV for a gasket?

This is what I have (disregard the tensioner gasket):
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]54127[/ATTACH]
                Get an OEM oil pan gaskets, it has to be the right thickness to seal. And NO to Permatex RTV
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My sons' 04 gsxr 1000 never had a pan gasket.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Hmmm, very strange. Glad you found a gasket, but I can't explain the discrepancy. I've been in several GS850 engines and never noticed anything like that.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X