1983 gs 1100 es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs 1100 es

Hi everybody, first post for me. Can anyone tell me how many clutch plates, both friction and metal , there are suppose to be . I was told this specific model had two additional friction , or drive plates and one metal plate from factory. Bottom line is I bought a new clutch kit from EBC, and cant figure out what to go with. Any help for a vintage guy with a vintage bike?, thanks in advance. It is a 1983 GS 1100 ES.

You'll find the manual on this page:

I count nine friction plates which would mean eight steel I believe but I don't know if aftermarket could be different. Plenty of members here can contribute but hopefully the manual proves helpful.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. New kit has 9 of each, but what got my attention was the 10 I took out, not counting the last, which looks good, and piano wire is in tact. I will check out the manual too, thanks again!

Comment

Cant get that link you sent me, any ideas?

Comment

Get it fixed by the end of August and there will be a bunch of us visiting your area for a fun blast through some of your curvy roads in early September. Watch for details later as for the exact dates.

edit: and by the way, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't answer your clutch question but I am sure there will be some good information coming your way --- soon.
          Last edited by alke46; 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by hammering hank View Post
            It works for me so I'm not sure but try a google search for bass cliff suzuki.
            sigpic

Comment

83 1100E/ES came with 10 fibers and 9 steels from the factory.
              the factory fiber are steel backed and chop up the basket.
              i use only OEM plates from 80-86 1100/1150's except for the 83 plates by choice.
              you'll start with a fiber and end with a fiber on the installation.

FYI
              i know the 10 fibers in your model is factory and i think 9 steels is factory but i may be mistaken on the steels.

Comment

Originally posted by hammering hank View Post
                Try this: http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

It's quite clear on the parts diagram:
                  Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

(If that link doesn't work for some reason, start here: https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...cle_1983/parts )

10 drive plates ("fibers")
                  11 driven plates ("steels")

Note that there's a difference in the number of steel plates between the 1982 Z model and the 1983 D model. The springs and several other bits are different as well.

One thing I've found infesting a few bikes is a Barnett "extra plate" kit. These used thinner plates to end up with an extra pair, on the theory that you would then get 10 or 11% more friction. The downside is that they cause more wear (the thinner plates chew into the basket more) and there's more drag, often to the point that the clutch is nearly unusable on the street.

The other thing that's EXTREMELY common is for some doof to install heavier aftermarket springs in an attempt to cure a clutch slip. This leads to a much heavier clutch pull, and again adds to drag and makes the bike less usable.

If you're experiencing a slip and it hasn't gotten too bad yet and you haven't cooked the clutch, the best cure in most cases is simply new OEM springs. The original springs understandably sag just a bit over three decades. Order up new springs and a gasket, replace and be happy. There are also times when you might install three of the heavier aftermarket springs and three OEM to get a firmer grab if the bike is heavily modified.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

10 and 10.
                    the 11th steel is held to the inner hub by a piano wire and is seldom removed.
                    83 1100E/ES and katana 1100 all have this set up from the factory.
                    the factory fiber ears looks like a piece of folded over sheet metal where as the after market Barnett fiber ears are flat sheet steel.
                    both chop on the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      It's quite clear on the parts diagram:
                      Shop online for OEM Clutch parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

(If that link doesn't work for some reason, start here: https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oem...cle_1983/parts )

10 drive plates ("fibers")
                      11 driven plates ("steels")

Note that there's a difference in the number of steel plates between the 1982 Z model and the 1983 D model. The springs and several other bits are different as well.

One thing I've found infesting a few bikes is a Barnett "extra plate" kit. These used thinner plates to end up with an extra pair, on the theory that you would then get 10 or 11% more friction. The downside is that they cause more wear (the thinner plates chew into the basket more) and there's more drag, often to the point that the clutch is nearly unusable on the street.

The other thing that's EXTREMELY common is for some doof to install heavier aftermarket springs in an attempt to cure a clutch slip. This leads to a much heavier clutch pull, and again adds to drag and makes the bike less usable.

If you're experiencing a slip and it hasn't gotten too bad yet and you haven't cooked the clutch, the best cure in most cases is simply new OEM springs. The original springs understandably sag just a bit over three decades. Order up new springs and a gasket, replace and be happy. There are also times when you might install three of the heavier aftermarket springs and three OEM to get a firmer grab if the bike is heavily modified.
                      I was counting from the picture but I see that the count for the part numbers are 9 for the EZ and 10 for the ED.
                      sigpic

Comment

The '83+ also has a different hub bearing and is supposed to be shimmed for proper end play.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

10 and 10 including the one in the inner basket
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What Bill just said is correct, 10 & 10. You also HAVE to pay attention to the shims & the amount of play in the basket, in & out movement. Also, as stated above, the extra plate kits DESTROY clutch hubs by GOUGING up the hub where the fiber plate tangs make contact. Lastly, heavier springs are REQUIRED if you make a decent amount of power with one to keep the clutch from slipping. If your hub is gouged up I have good cores in stock and build the heavy duty hubs with the thicker backing plate, heavier springs and press them together in a fixture and WELD the rivets.
                            Ray.

Comment

Working...
                            X