Gear oil for shafty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear oil for shafty

Sorry if this has been asked before (I bet it has) but I had a search around the site and couldn’t find anything.

Just wanting to give the GS1000G some extra tlc and was thinking to change the gear oil and final drive unit.

spec says SAE 90, but I’ve got some bottles of SAE 75w90 in the garage... is this just the modern equivalent and ok to use of is it different stuff and should I by the correct grade??

That's what I used. Hard to find straight 90w. The spec also gives you a GL - GL5 I think from memory.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That’s great, thanks. Just checked primary and secondary drive units and levels are good and what’s there looks fairly new. Previous owner had recommissioned it after a few years sleep so looks like they did that at least.

So I’ll leave it for now but at least I know I can use up my leftovers next time round.

Comment

Yep, 75w-90, 80w-90, "regular" or synthetic, it's all good.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FWIW, you can find straight 90W, intended for outboard motors. There's no point, though.

Use whatever 80W-90 or 75W-90 they happen to have at the auto parts store. As long as it's GL-5, brand doesn't matter.

The final drive on a GS is one of the more lightly loaded places gear oil can end up. I change it every year or so and it always comes out looking pretty much the same as when it went in. If you're reasonably careful, you can get two years out of one liter bottle.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I use a 75w90 in all my bikes gearbox, and final drives.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              The final drive on a GS is one of the more lightly loaded places gear oil can end up. I change it every year or so and it always comes out looking pretty much the same as when it went in. If you're reasonably careful, you can get two years out of one liter bottle.
              I get a little more life than that out of a bottle, probably because I don't put on quite the miles that Brian does.

I change the fluid in the secondary drive and final drive (and lube the splines) when I change a tire.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by eddypeck View Post
                .............Just wanting to give the GS1000G some extra tlc ..............
                Speaking of extra TLC, and the rear end of the bike,
                Steve mentioned lubing (grease) the hub-splines in rear wheel. Learn about that if you don't already know.
                Not really extra. Is required, basic.
                Last edited by Redman; 03-24-2018, 07:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                X