Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cylinder bores dropped out while heat curing engine paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never fit the o rings on the bottom of the sleeves, in fact i was told by a few performance engine builders to purposely leave them out. Never caused a problem so far.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Funny you mention that Agemax. I did the same thing on my 1085 rebuild 5 years ago. Virtually no oil leakage.

Only time I noticed any oil was when I got stuck in stop and go and traffic at 35 cel. Move 20 feet, stop for 30 seconds to a few minutes. All I can say was that was a very unhappy engine. I would have pulled over, but I was on a bridge that crosses Halifax harbour. Once I got over the crest, I shut her off and did the stop and go coasting.

I can only imagine how much unhappier the engine would have been if I did not have an oil cooler.

Some people on this forum say they are not required, I fit them to all air cooled engines for reasons like that.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
        Funny you mention that Agemax. I did the same thing on my 1085 rebuild 5 years ago. Virtually no oil leakage.

Only time I noticed any oil was when I got stuck in stop and go and traffic at 35 cel. Move 20 feet, stop for 30 seconds to a few minutes. All I can say was that was a very unhappy engine. I would have pulled over, but I was on a bridge that crosses Halifax harbour. Once I got over the crest, I shut her off and did the stop and go coasting.

I can only imagine how much unhappier the engine would have been if I did not have an oil cooler.

Some people on this forum say they are not required, I fit them to all air cooled engines for reasons like that.
        well,here in the UK we got absolutely no chance of riding in 35*c heat lol.I think the hottest i have ridden is high 20's,and that was far to hot for me, haha
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Block and cylinders are both used by many..its an apples and oranges issue really. Just as some call the inserts liners and some use the automotive term sleeves. But i guess technically sleeves is the correct term for any engine.

What are sleeves in an engine?

Sleeves are made out of iron alloys and are very reliable. A sleeve is installed by a machinist at a machine shop. The engine block is mounted on a precision boring machine, where the cylinder is then bored to a size much larger than normal and a new cast-iron sleeve can be inserted with an interference fit.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No, a block contains bores, some have sleeves that are changeable some are not changeable. The loose term cylinder refers to the bore plus it's stroke, it forms a cylinder. They are an integral part of an engine, the one used in your copy/paste. A cylinder, as in the air cooled engines we are talking about are technically called exactly that, cylinders, or cylinder assemblies where the head is part of the cylinder where there is a separate block/case engine with cylinders bolted to them.

And no, sleeve is not the correct term to use for "any engine", if the bores are a formed part of the block then they are not a sleeve. A sleeve is removable from the block or in our case the cylinder.

I have worked on all these types of engines I am talking about. These are the technical terms used in the appropriate manufacturers manuals.

There are many different designs of engines, your quoting of an obscure non-validated copy and paste is a demonstration of your lack of understanding of these technical terms.

I am finished with this conversation.

Have a nice night.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

OPPS!!! I should have said GS engine..or motorcycle engine. Sorry for not being crystal clear...seeing its about a motorcycle and all.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I did mention this was a good time to fully remove them and clean the block wells.
                So you did and I missed that.
                Breaking my own rules again.
                There are some folks who don't waste words in threads.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I should say cylinders walls actually so others dont get mad for my not using the Kings English.

Comment

On at least the 1000 cylinders (most likely others as well) there is a colored paint dot on the bottom of the cylinder assembly for what I presume is a selective fitting methodology between the liner and the aluminum casting. I've seen maroon, yellow, and blue dots before. The liners are a press fit when cold but as chuck states, this greatly diminished when hot. Suzuki must control the press fit closely thus the selective fitting. As to how much of the press fit goes away when hot, I suspect most of it.

blue.jpg
                    Last edited by Nessism; 03-29-2018, 08:16 AM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yellow dot...

yellow dot.jpg
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I didn't realize it until now, but I just painted over some blue dots on mine.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Good shout on cleaning out the seats. I did give them a wipe when it happened bit I was in a bit of a panic to be honest.

I'll heat them up and do it again. Presumably they have to sit exactly where they sat originally rotation-wise?
                          There's a little flat on the side of each one and they were set as 1&2 facing each other and 3&4 facing.

Comment

To the original poster, you better check the paint can instructions, I believe the temp is 200 F (not 200C) to harden the paint, it is for VHT Engine enamels anyway.

That would be 93C and probably not hot enough to drop the sleeves.
                            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Working...
                            X