Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cylinder bores dropped out while heat curing engine paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder bores dropped out while heat curing engine paint.

Just had a bit of a panic attack over my cylinder bores off my 82 gsx400f.

I've got the top end apart and am in the process of a rebuild. Part of that is painting the engine.
    Now, I may or may not have totally screwed up here, but as the engine paint cures with heat and I cannot start it for a while, I decided I'd try to harden it a bit by warming it in the oven. I did this after researching and reading that it should be ok to do this if careful.

I put everything in the cold oven and turned it up to 50c. Left it half an hour, then to 100c, half hour again, then 180c. After a short while I heard a rattle from the oven and upon opening it I saw that the cylinder block had actually dropped to the oven shelf, leaving the once flush cylinder bores sticking up, loose in the head. Aaaaaaaaggggghhhhh!!!

Obviously, they're an interference fit, the ally head expanded quicker than the bores, hence why they dropped.

I quickly reseated them all, but they don't appear to be 100% dead flush with the head surface. I can catch a nail on them.

Have I just basically trashed my cylinder head? Please say no...

Untitled by kayak23, on Flickr

Untitled by kayak23, on Flickr

The actual gasket surface seems pretty flat just off a steel rule but if you lay the rule over the bores, there is daylight.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2018, 04:41 AM.

If I found myself in your situation, I would support the block as you did in the second pic and reheat the whole thing. I might even take a block of wood and give each sleeve a light tap with a hammer after it's heated up to make sure they are seated. I think after they cooled down, they would be ok after that. Seems like you don't have much to lose at this point. Just my opinion.
    When I worked in a GE electric motor plant, rotors were heated in an oven to get them expanded enough to allow them to be installed on the motor shaft. Better do it quickly before they cooled, or they wouldn't slide down to the proper position on the shaft. This situation reminded me of my time working the "drop on oven". Those were the days!

Comment

Agree, the liners can be pressed back down. No worry.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank God. I was worried that I might potentially warp the head doing this but read a few threads suggesting ok if care taken. Nearly had a heart attack when I opened the oven!

Comment

Yes..reheat the block and push the liners back in. Flip the block over and place it on a known flat surface or a plate of steel and let it cool to room temp. And actually its a good opportunity to take a rag and clean the inside of the blocks walls and the wells the top of the liners set down into. Use some oven mitts while the cylinder is hot to clean them up, reheat the block again to ensure its expanded enough to reinsert the liners.

EDIT..they will be a few thousands proud so no worries.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-25-2018, 09:27 AM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

First thing to do is to get them off that top and out of the kitchen before you are discovered! That would give you a proper heart attack.

Get them slid back in properly and you should be good.
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Ha! Luckily I didn't get caught putting them in the oven. Getting in early was the key!

Comment

I've pressed the bores back in as far as I can (with a big wood veneer press after making a support block)

With a vernier gauge they all measure approx 0.11mm ( 0.00433 inch) proud of the head gasket surface.

Is this about normal?

Presumably if you have your head skimmed then the tops of the bores get done too so everything is completely flat.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kayak23;2464614]I've pressed the bores back in as far as I can (with a big wood veneer press after making a support block)

With a vernier gauge they all measure approx 0.11mm ( 0.00433 inch) proud of the head gasket surface.

Is this about normal?

I just checked mine as I have the head off and mine sit a little higher above the surface than you are reporting. Mine are sitting right at .040
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Cheers for that. Must be normal then.
                    I'd have thought it all had to be dead flat.

Comment

[QUOTE=alke46;2464654]
                      Originally posted by Kayak23 View Post
                      I've pressed the bores back in as far as I can (with a big wood veneer press after making a support block)

Is this about normal?

I just checked mine as I have the head off and mine sit a little higher above the surface than you are reporting. Mine are sitting right at .040
                      Originally posted by Kayak23 View Post
                      Cheers for that. Must be normal then.
                      I'd have thought it all had to be dead flat.
                      It does...I'd get a light cut done on the top of the barrel if you're confident the liners are hard down. If the tops of the liners stand proud of the barrel casting you could well get oil leaks from the corner passages.
                      You could get away with some height variation with the older fabric based head gaskets - the later MLS ones don't like it at all.

Comment

At some point in the future I can see a thread ' Help! I accidentally cured my paint when getting the liners out'
                        Last edited by Brendan W; 03-26-2018, 03:31 PM.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          At some point in the future I can see a thread ' Help! I accidentally cured my paint when getting the liners out'
                          It's actually possible to remove liners without damaging the paint, LOL. I regularly use a big LPG torch on the inside of liners to remove them. Doesn't need a lot of heat to have them drop loose. Around 200C in the oven for the block, liners sitting in ice water, pop them in....Weight them hard down.

Comment

I drop in the liners and turn the cylinders upside down so its setting on the sleeves and tap the aluminum a little to nestle the liners in good. . I set them on a known flat plate of steel to cool. Can stick the new sleeves in the freezer too for the contraction phase.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'd say either press them back in or look for a slightly larger diameter while they're out....probably the 1st of the two...

Comment

Working...
                              X