No compression after rebuild gs750/850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No compression after rebuild gs750/850

So I rebuild a non running gs750. The cylinders were fairly badly notched where the piston rings had been sitting for over 5years with some water in them, so instead of paying for all the shop boring and honing I got a set 850 jugs and pistons for $150 out of a running bike.

I have so far done:
    1979 Gs850 Jug swap
    New gaskets top to bottom
    750 valves lapped and leak down tested
    Engine put back together and torqued down

Still haven't shimmed the valves perfectly but hopefully this week I can confirm my previous measurements and get some shims in it by Saturday.

PROBLEM:
    I tried turning over the engine a few times by hand on the rotor to make sure no valves were getting hit and looks good. So I put my new compression tester on the cylinders and kick started a few times as all the batteries, frame, and wiring pieces are currently in my living not close to the engine. I got zip on the tester. The thing didn't even wiggle on any cylinders. I tested the tester with 20, 40, and 80 psi off my compressor and it works just fine. So what could be my issue, I really thought I had done everything right.

Also I'm sorry if this is covered in another post but if it is I just can't find it and I have spent hours searching for it.

Thanks everyone
    New project 78' gs750 currently siezed motor
    78 Honda CX500 cafe racer

Kick starting it may not be spinning the engine fast enough to get a compression reading. Read the directions for compression testing. They usually say to hold the throttle wide open to allow as much air in as possible, but they also say to spin it fast as possible via the electric starter.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Valve timing is probably wrong
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Agree on the valve timing. It's easy to get the cams 180 degrees out of sync. Check for 1-4 TDC by looking at the 1-4 T mark on the crank and making sure the pistons are at TDC when looking in through the spark plug hole.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Agree on the valve timing. It's easy to get the cams 180 degrees out of sync. Check for 1-4 TDC by looking at the 1-4 T mark on the crank and making sure the pistons are at TDC when looking in through the spark plug hole.
          Thank you so much for actually saying how it could be wrong! I didn't even realize that the mark could be off by 180°. I at some point after I out the head on I had rotated the crank to check nothing was seized and did recheck TDC on 1&4. I just re did the timing and have about 110psi on 2,3,4 but looks like at some point while bringing the head back to the garage I possibly bent or got some kind of debris in the intake valve on 1 so I have 0 compression there. Now I have to figure out whats the easiest thing to fix the valve issue so I can get the bike together again soon.

Comment

There might some shenanigans with the shims on the #1 valves too. Why are you thinking only about the intake valve?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              There might some shenanigans with the shims on the #1 valves too. Why are you thinking only about the intake valve?
              Well at first it was because I could feel the compression coming out the intake. Then I looked in the intake port and saw a ring of light around the valve from the work light I had pointed in the spark plug hole.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yup... pulled it apart and found a bent intake valve😒 now I have find another one for cheap hopefully

Comment

so i have a 77 gs 750 and i want to do the jug swap do i need a 77 gs 850 jug and pistons or what years are compatible

Comment

I agree on rechecking cam timing. Also remove all the plugs so it spins easier AND FASTER. And remember to hold the throttle wide open when cranking... with the starter of course
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X