'82 gs1100gl. Shift lever not returning to center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 gs1100gl. Shift lever not returning to center

Just bought this bike, 8600 miles but had not been started for a year or so. Had to give the starter a little TLC, some fresh gas and got it started. Warmed up and changed the oil (MC 10w-40) and filter, old filter was pretty clean. Only real problem so far is the shift lever dosen't snap back to the center detent after up shift or down shift, I have to bump it a little with my toe to make the next gear change. The clutch is adjusted per manual. After a 9 mile test drive it was maybe a little better or just wishful thinking ? Is spring 25 in the parts diagram a suspect problem ? I'm going to have to pull the carbs and clean them before I take it on the road again, a first gear bog and refire is pretty exciting...... Maybe a few more miles will free up some sticky parts. Thanks, Jim

Originally posted by jljim View Post
    Just bought this bike, 8600 miles but had not been started for a year or so. Had to give the starter a little TLC, some fresh gas and got it started. Warmed up and changed the oil (MC 10w-40) and filter, old filter was pretty clean. Only real problem so far is the shift lever dosen't snap back to the center detent after up shift or down shift, I have to bump it a little with my toe to make the next gear change. The clutch is adjusted per manual. After a 9 mile test drive it was maybe a little better or just wishful thinking ? Is spring 25 in the parts diagram a suspect problem ? I'm going to have to pull the carbs and clean them before I take it on the road again, a first gear bog and refire is pretty exciting...... Maybe a few more miles will free up some sticky parts. Thanks, Jim
    You would have to show what the spring 25 is, but at the end of the shift shaft is the shift mechanism. It works with a spring and the star on the end of the shift drum. If that is the spri g you are talking about, you'll have to pull the clutch basket to check it out.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have not looked up your "spring 25", but here is the spring that keeps the lever centered. You can only see the ends straddling a post through the triangular hole.

Some time ago, I was working on a bike that would shift in one direction, but not the other, and found this:

I don't think that would be your problem this time around, so check that the spring is intact, but you have to look behind that plate with the triangular hole, after removing the clutch basket.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pull the clutch basket and have a look....the forked return spring could be tired. If so, it might be saved by bending.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I found the spring behind the plate the on Partzilla "Gear shifting" diagram. Looks like it's still available from the dealers. The tach cable is also broken. I wasn't impressed with the aftermarket cable I got for my 650 Kaw so I'm going with OE on this one. Thank you, thank you for the pictures and all the replies. It looks like the clutch housing has been off before, so it probably needs a look anyway.

Comment

Check the action with the clutch cover removed or loosened; I've seen the shift shaft bind against the cover when a thinner aftermarket gasket was used.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on my original post. The carb work is done, lots of plugged up ports. Starts,idles and runs excellent. After a few more miles of wishful thinking, the sticky center detent on the shift did not fix its self.......I had a new tach cable, air filter and side cover gaskets bought, so got the tools out and got busy. Taking the advice from bw, I loosend the clutch cover and was rewarded with a positive center detent. The cover had been replaced with no gasket and silicone sealer and was binding on the end of the shift shaft. Cleaned off the silicone and reassembled with an OEM gasket. Only lost a few drips of my fresh oil change too. Went out for quick test drive down to the corner and back.....then rode another 40 miles just to make sure !
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jljim; 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up!

Especially since I was right...

Or maybe I just happened to have the correct guess this time around.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X