Countershaft sprocket nut keeps loosening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countershaft sprocket nut keeps loosening

Got a ‘78 GS750 with a 530 conversion. Worked great until last week when the front sprocket loosened up a bit and caused a clunk when traveling at low speeds. Chain tension was at spec. I tightened the front sprocket up to 45 ft lbs again and it came loose in a few miles. I did it again today and installed a fresh sprocket washer and cleaned the threads with brake cleaner. The threads and splines look great. Made it further this time but I can hear the clunking starting again. What’s the next course of action? Loctite? I’m somewhat hesitant to put loctite on there since the FSM doesn’t call for it.

Matt
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

The washer that goes behind the sprocket acts like a lock nut when you fold up the tabs
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      The washer that goes behind the sprocket acts like a lock nut when you fold up the tabs
      I’ve got the tabs bent down in two places. Sigh
      1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
      1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

there was a whole thread about this a while back, use the search function and read through it.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by mattd1205 View Post
          It has been a LONG time since I have even seen a countershaft sprocket, but isn't the washer between the nut and the sprocket?

Doesn't that mean that the tabs should be bent UP, to keep the nut from turning?

Maybe I just don't remember the setup correctly, but that's the way the brake disks are held on, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mattd1205 View Post
            Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Correct if the washer has matching splines and it has been clocked to the nut, it shouldn't back off. Technically it's a lock washer.
            WASHER, LOCK
            09167-25019
            Your Price: $2.95

Just an example photo to show the splines, you could use blue locktite which will hold the nut, but won't require using a torch to break it loose again. Whatever you do, don't use red locktite, that stuff breaks chitt if you don't torch it first.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes, you need Loctite.

And more torque. Lots more torque.

45 foot-pounds seems to be in the ballpark of what the 10mm thread sprocket nuts on the back take, not the countershaft nut.

Just a guess with no manual on hand at the moment, but I bet the countershaft nut is supposed to get well over 100 foot-pounds. These are big, tough, hardened steel threads. Look up the correct spec and give 'em some added grunts.

Someone should be along soon with the correct torque value.
              Last edited by bwringer; 09-30-2019, 06:33 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

72.5 -108.5 ft lbs 83 550
                splines get worn if the thing is run loose
                threads get damaged when folks force nut off without heating a loctited fastener
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  45 foot-pounds seems to be in the ballpark of what the 10mm thread sprocket nuts on the back take, not the countershaft nut.
                  Aren't those rear sprocket nuts held by "2-in-1" bendable tab locknuts? One piece of metal encompasses two locknuts with a span between them.

Between my '73 Z1 and '82 11E, at least one if not both uses this system.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Aren't those rear sprocket nuts held by "2-in-1" bendable tab locknuts? One piece of metal encompasses two locknuts with a span between them.

Between my '73 Z1 and '82 11E, at least one if not both uses this system.
                    Splain please
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

so im sure this setup is the same as my 550 a washer as gs rick showed and a nut that has a metal gripping insert on the threads
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

So this is a 530 conversion.
                        Silly question, but do you have the spacer on there, that comes with a 530 conversion?
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The spacer goes on the outside of the sprocket. If it's a conversion sprocket the lump goes on the outside.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Yes, you need Loctite.

And more torque. Lots more torque.

Just a guess with no manual on hand at the moment, but I bet the countershaft nut is supposed to get well over 100 foot-pounds. These are big, tough, hardened steel threads. Look up the correct spec and give 'em some added grunts.

Someone should be along soon with the correct torque value.
                            Agree with this, mostly.
                            Blue locktite helps. Properly spec'd torque matters a lot too...

But, there's a nagging voice in my head that's going...45ft-lbs and no locktite isn't ideal, but it ought to hold for more than a week, especially if the lock washer is properly bent over. Having it loosen up three times that way is a real red flag. I don't have any idea what root cause might be, but I'd be looking at the whole system veeerrrry carefully.
                            Last edited by RichDesmond; 09-30-2019, 09:07 PM.
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

yeah as in the splines are buggered. Or the sprocket. You get a bit of rust from the hardening of the contact points between sprocket and spline I wonder if some high temp anti seize would help.

Also when torquing its be ideal to have a friend help as you need to be in low gear with the brake on or have the rear wheel otherwise immobilized to get it tightened properly.

Ultimately some pictures would tell of wonders but no one has access to a digital camera what with them being so rare.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X