Set valve clearance on bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set valve clearance on bench?

I’m at a stopping point where i need to order some parts and wait for them to arrive. I’m looking at the design of the motor (1978 GS750) and thinking it should be possible to check/set the valve clearance with the head on my bench. Since the cam lobes are the only thing interacting with the valve buckets i would just bolt the cams in place temporarily and go about measuring so i can order the shims with the other parts i need at the same time.

Am I missing something here? Would the clearance change after torquing the head down during reassembly?
    1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
    1997 Electra Glide
    1983 Goldwing

Checking on the bench seems like a good idea but I'd double check once the engine is assembled.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You may already have an idea how to rotate the cams without using the crank and cam chain to do it, but if not you can use a strap wrench.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I know V8 engine block can distort a bit when the heads are bolted on vs. not bolted on, which is why they use torque plates when boring the cylinders so I guess it is possible the heads would distort a little too. I'd guess not enough to cause any difference in a feeler gauge. Make it a little experiment. Set the clearances on the bench, record the clearances, then after it is bolted down, check again and report back to us if it changed.

Only other thing I'd worry about would be to support the head securely on the bench with space for the valves to move and also to not let it slip and crash down on a depressed valve.
        1981 Suzuki GS250T
        1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
        1985 Suzuki GS550E
        2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

My biggest concern would be holding the cams in the correct positions. Of course, this assumes that you know what the correct positions are, but that's a topic for another thread.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Of course you can do it on the bench. A couple of blocks of wood - one at each end - gives clearance for the valves to lift.
            Or you can make up stands.
            Turning the cams - even with race springs in - isn't that difficult. I use a 10mm ring spanner on the cam sprocket bolts.
            Use a torque wrench on the cam cap bolts and lube everything well.

There's no reason whatsoever why the clearances should change once the head's torqued down.

Edit - On a freshly assembled head, I turn each cam over 2 3 times before measuring clearances to settle everything down.
            Last edited by GregT; 01-22-2020, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Just make sure you do not rotate the cams without a shim in the buckets.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Alright that’s what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something i had missed. Thanks all.
                1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
                1997 Electra Glide
                1983 Goldwing

Comment

Yep, block the head up a bit and secure it so it CANNOT fall off with a cam installed and a valve extended.

And oil everything.

And yeah, make sure you don't rotate the cams without shims.

I would double-check once the head is installed, but there's no reason the clearances would change.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X