Dead cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead cylinder

I’m trying to diagnose a dead #2 on my 83 gs750es. It has pods and was jetted but never ran well. I just realized #2 is cold so I tested everything i can think of. Valve clearance is spot on. I had an issue with my pickup coils being bent but fixing that didn’t make a difference. I swapped the plug wire between 2 and 3 with no effect. It is sparking the plug fine. The plug has gas on it when i checked its condition and gap. The confusing thing is the compression. I get 100 psi on every cylinder except 2 which is 130 psi. I’m not sure if im hearing things but when i have the guage on 2 and turn it over sometimes I hear a “ ting” sound. When I try to make it do it again I can’t, so I never get a good idea whats making the sound. I cant account for the high compression and the fact it wont fire with gas and spark. Is there a way just 2 can be out of time? I’m lost. I just rebuilt the carbs, the RIGHT WAY!, and replaced everything and dipped them - the whole 9 yards. I figured I better do that to rule out flooding in that cylinder. Please help.
    1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
    We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

It's rare, but a plug can fire outside the cylinder, but under compression, not fire. swap the #1 & #2 plugs, just to be sure the #2 plug is firing under compression. won't take but a minute. If #1 quits firing, it's the plug.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
      ... I just rebuilt the carbs, the RIGHT WAY!, and replaced everything and dipped them - the whole 9 yards. ...
      What all was included in the "everything" that was replaced?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        It's rare, but a plug can fire outside the cylinder, but under compression, not fire. swap the #1 & #2 plugs, just to be sure the #2 plug is firing under compression. won't take but a minute. If #1 quits firing, it's the plug.
        did this with no effect

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          What all was included in the "everything" that was replaced?

every o-ring, hard parts were soaked and cleaned like i said. I had dynojet #130 mains in and i swapped them for dynojet #124’s. No other changes. I have new intake boot orings but my testing did not show any vacuum leaks there, so I’m holding onto them for now.

Comment

#2 cylinder.....of course, you’ve ruled out petcock dribbling down its vacuum line.

“ The plug has gas on it when i checked its condition and gap.”
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah. I don’t understand how anyone can have a tank on and off as much as you do during this sort of thing and not notice that

Comment

What are the chances the exhaust valves aren’t opening even though I measured clearance several times?

Comment

I suppose this weekend I’ll need to pop the top off again and just confirm valves moving and timing is on. Doesn’t seem to be a lot to timing this engine. I don’t see any adjustments at the pickups...
                  I just really think this is something with the engine more than anything

Comment

Originally posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
                    What are the chances the exhaust valves aren’t opening even though I measured clearance several times?
                    on my 650 i can see the valves opening through the plug holes. A finger over the plug hole will also inform as to compression and suction.

Comment

The pilot jet is the most common culprit. Under the Rubber plug next to the main jet. It has a VERY small hole in the end that can plug up in just a few weeks with Ethanol gas. You need a length of 30 gauge solid wire (.25mm) to clean it out. Hold it up to a light and make sure you can see through it. You DID put new rubber plugs in, right? You need them. I rebuilt a set of carbs in October and ran the bowls out of gas but didn't drain them. In February it wouldn't start and had 3 of 4 pilot jets plugged, and this in the # 1 and 2 bowls:
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I popped the top and the valves aren’t sticking. They have to be shutting all the way because I have compression. Ive heard the gasket can go bad between cylinders and cause a cylinder to read high but I’d imagine the other cylinder would show some kind of loss as well.

Comment

Did this thing run fine prior to the work you did.
                          Or at least fire all four cyls?

How is 100 on 3 and 130 on 1 high compression?

You swapped plugs swap plug caps
                          or move coils.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Sounds like a carb problem.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              Did this thing run fine prior to the work you did.
                              Or at least fire all four cyls?

How is 100 on 3 and 130 on 1 high compression?

You swapped plugs swap plug caps
                              or move coils.
                              next time i see you post a question ill ask it back to you too lol

Comment

Working...
                              X