Weird clicking noise when clutch is pulled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird clicking noise when clutch is pulled

Hi guys n dolls, been a minute since I was last here. Got a new issue .. After changing a rear tire, I've noticed a light clicking noise in my drivetrain in one set of particular circumstances. It goes like this: when clutch is pulled in (only goes 2/3 to 3/4 in), and slowing down for a stop, with slight tension on the drivetrain, I have an occasional clicking that will coincide with "twig in the spokes" kind of feeling. I am wondering ... When changing the rear tire, I allowed the swing-arm to drop all the way down, after disconnecting the shocks, leaving me wondering if I might have broken a cup on my universal joint? Does anyone know if the rear swing-arm will drop far enough for the universals to be damaged? And, if so, is it a bear to repair those universals? I've not looked at it much, just looked at the clutch behind the casing, was hoping to find a loose bolt, but it wasn't that easy , so my current plan: bleed you guys for knowledge and digging in further, but does anyone have any experience in this? Thanks! The ride in question is a 1979 GS850.

No, the swingarm won't drop far enough to damage the u-joint.

You might want to peel back the U-joint boot between the engine and swingarm and make sure all four bolts are present and tight and that there's no play in the bearing and the seal isn't leaking. It's not unknown to have a failure in the secondary drive; basically the tip where the flange is bolted on breaks off and the u-joint flange can flop around on the splines. That wouldn't bear any relation to your tire change, but might as well rule that out.

Next, investigate the rear brake to make sure it isn't binding and that all the hardware and the pads are in the correct position.

I'd also check to make sure the rear wheel bearings are OK and that you didn't accidentally lose that spacer that sits inside the final drive. And make sure the other spacers are in the correct positions.

As you rotate the wheel, feel for any oddities in the gears in the final drive.

While the wheel is off, check that the swingarm can move freely and that there's no play in the bearings, and check that the bolts securing the driven spline inside the wheel haven't backed out

I can't recall any cases of shaftie u-joints failing, so that's pretty unlikely. In any case, the u-joint is integral with the driveshaft, so you'd have to replace the driveshaft. A good used one isn't hard to find. Replacing it involves removing the swingarm, but it's all pretty straightforward and easier than on a chain drive GS.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by RandyRex View Post
      when clutch is pulled in (only goes 2/3 to 3/4 in),
      Could you expand on this, is the lever coming back to the handlebar?
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        No, the swingarm won't drop far enough to damage the u-joint.

You might want to peel back the U-joint boot between the engine and swingarm and make sure all four bolts are present and tight and that there's no play in the bearing and the seal isn't leaking. It's not unknown to have a failure in the secondary drive; basically the tip where the flange is bolted on breaks off and the u-joint flange can flop around on the splines. That wouldn't bear any relation to your tire change, but might as well rule that out.

Next, investigate the rear brake to make sure it isn't binding and that all the hardware and the pads are in the correct position.

I'd also check to make sure the rear wheel bearings are OK and that you didn't accidentally lose that spacer that sits inside the final drive. And make sure the other spacers are in the correct positions.

As you rotate the wheel, feel for any oddities in the gears in the final drive.

While the wheel is off, check that the swingarm can move freely and that there's no play in the bearings, and check that the bolts securing the driven spline inside the wheel haven't backed out

I can't recall any cases of shaftie u-joints failing, so that's pretty unlikely. In any case, the u-joint is integral with the driveshaft, so you'd have to replace the driveshaft. A good used one isn't hard to find. Replacing it involves removing the swingarm, but it's all pretty straightforward and easier than on a chain drive GS.
        Thank you, BW I might have gotten my spacers mixed, outside chance, I'm usually EMO about that, but we all err ... I will check all and stop wondering. TY

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Could you expand on this, is the lever coming back to the handlebar?
          No, Brendan, it actually does not. As I pulled the casing off, I was looking at that splined shaft, wondering "really? Like that?" ... It was not traveling all the way back, and I had all adjustments extended to max and still felt the drivetrain was slightly bound up/under tension.

Comment

No, Brendan, it actually does not. As I pulled the casing off, I was looking at that splined shaft, wondering "really? Like that?" ... It was not traveling all the way back, and I had all adjustments extended to max and still felt the drivetrain was slightly bound up/under tension.
            The lever should come back to the bar.
            Gut feeling is that the pinion on the release shaft is riding up beyond the end of the rack on the shaft in the clutch.
            If the clutch nut is loose this can happen especially slowing down in gear as the helical drive reverses the thrust on the clutch basket pushing it out.
            The clutch will not disengage fully giving a slight drag on the drive train.
            Mine was loose enough that the clutch lost the oil pump drive on the over run and the oil pressure lamp came on. If you leaned the bike to the right at a stop the same thing would happen.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Agreed; sounds like the clutch isn't working correctly, and this requires investigation and correction.

At rest, the clutch release lever should point pretty much straight forward, maybe slightly outward.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Loved the Clutch Cover Bolts/torque spec gag, as per Suzuki ... what's the real torque? 3ft/lbs? One of mine sheared at 5ft/lbs, guessing 3ft/lbs, and that leaves 1ft/lb fer expansion? 7ft/lbs was a lie, even though that was in the manual ...

Comment

Thou shalt neither grunt, nor fart when tightening the clutch cover bolts.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Thou shalt neither grunt, nor fart when tightening the clutch cover bolts.
                    I noticed that you didn't offer a better spec, ya think 3 is enough?

Comment

Loved the Clutch Cover Bolts/torque spec gag, as per Suzuki ... what's the real torque? 3ft/lbs? One of mine sheared at 5ft/lbs, guessing 3ft/lbs, and that leaves 1ft/lb fer expansion? 7ft/lbs was a lie, even though that was in the manual ...
                      I'm just guessing, but you have a tool that's accurate at 3 ft lb? Most ft lb tools start at a much higher measurement

I use a in lb tool for most little bolts, but side covers? I just hand turn them til they're firm
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I noticed that you didn't offer a better spec, ya think 3 is enough?
                        Never torqued them.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          I'm just guessing, but you have a tool that's accurate at 3 ft lb? Most ft lb tools start at a much higher measurement

I use a in lb tool for most little bolts, but side covers? I just hand turn them til they're firm
                          Yep. both kinds, the new-age "click" type and an older one that uses the needle-pointer. I ended up using that ...

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            Never torqued them.
                            7lb was the spec listed in the manual. I did try the "clicker" and that was when I broke the bolt. After that, I used Ye Olde Timey one. I've never torqued them, either, and I broke a CX casing that way, so I was trying to do it by the book on this old gal.
                            Last edited by RandyRex; 05-25-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

OK, I got the clutch cover sorted, I saw no issue in there, and I pulled the rear wheel off, to check for misplaced/missing parts, none to be found, all textbook. However, I still have the noise, which I can describe better ... I have a slip. I do not know from where, it sounds as if it is behind me and low, only manifests in a tight U-turn, either direction. I took it out for a quick ride and detected an actual disconnect "felt a jumping and experienced a split-second of non-solidity in the drivetrain" is the best description I can give. Having checked the manual pics, I am guessing that it is within the drive shaft housing. When I originally changed the rear tire, pre-noise, I also adjusted the rear shocks down to notch #2, almost the lightest setting. I am lost, it rides fine and ONLY does it in a tight U-turn while feathering the clutch. Saw no filings when I checked the final drive oil.
                              Last edited by RandyRex; 05-25-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X