No announcement yet.

750 TSCC Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ed. That’s very helpful and encouraging. For now my pipes seem to be in relatively good shape and there’s no real reason to change. But all good info to know.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You're welcome, Rich.

As you can see, I had a reason to change mine out.

I think I've put at least $2K into my bike...give or take a couple of hundred dollars.

I paid $475 for the bike.

View photos in my album: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...p?albumid=2285

It's all good!

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-27-2020, 04:39 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Is that an “L” seat on your “T”?
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Is that an “L” seat on your “T”?
          Yes...that "Laverne" seat.

I believe the headlight is from an "L" too.

My parts bike has the correct seat...so I swapped it.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Hey Rich, what tires are you using? That looks more aggressive than my Shinkos

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed, I have that same coffee pot. It was an emergency purchase @ $15 and I didn't expect it to last, but it's going on 6 years now.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              Hey Rich, what tires are you using? That looks more aggressive than my Shinkos
              Shinko 705
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                Ed, I have that same coffee pot. It was an emergency purchase @ $15 and I didn't expect it to last, but it's going on 6 years now.
                I still have that coffee pot but upgraded to Keurig.

Hey Rich,

Look at my old pipes...they weren't drilled out like yours!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Rich,

I found a better view of how the oil filter is positioned relative to the V&H/4-1 pipes for when you upgrade! I just wrapped them to keep the oil off.

From this thread...post#202: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...hift-Oil/page6

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-29-2020, 04:30 PM.
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

That was the one thing that I forgot to ask you about. Filter access. Thanks for the pics.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

There's plenty of room in there to do the oil filter change.

I never did an oil change with the dual exhaust but it looks more limited as far as space to remove the filter is concerned.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Plenty of room for oil filter cover removal with stock pipes installed.

Ed, going back a comment you made about the clutch cable routing guide wire: The one on the carb rack has always been there in perfect shape. It was the one that gets bolted to the valve cover that I was missing so I fabricated one. Where I failed was the cable guide I made pushed the clutch cable into the path of the throttle linkage between #1 and 2 carbs, even though the clutch cable was properly set in the carb rack cable guide. The new motor came with the valve cover guide. I triple checked the routing this time.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-30-2020, 06:58 AM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that guide wire on the valve cover.

The dual pipes are positioned in a way to allow easy access to the oil filter chamber...which is good for you!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I am very Happy to report I now have a bike that I believe is better than it has been in at least 30 years. I’ve owned it for the last 15. It has never run nor looked so good.

Big thanks to all who helped me with this (for me) Huge project. I had never actually seen a real live piston before. Much of it was daunting. You all really helped me through it.

To recap: on March 23 I destroyed my engine, or at least half of the rockers in the head, due to me routing a new clutch cable incorrectly and interfering with the throttle linkage. Afraid of what I’d find tearing down that engine, I was able to source a nearly identical mileage engine from fantastic forum member Storm64 (Norm).

I cleaned that engine, honed the cylinders, installed pistons and rings from original motor because they were in better shape. New gaskets all around. Painted the frame, reinstalled the engine.

While I was at it, installed an AGM battery and cleaned every electrical connection.

A few loose ends: still waiting on triumph connectors for the SH775 that I had previously installed. Will redo all the connections around Stator/RR/battery/fuse box. Not because mine are bad, but because with the right connectors and tools, I can now make them better.

Have also been waiting for 3 weeks for a partsoutlaw order for new choke and throttle cables, and new Cush drive wedges.

I still may completely tear down the original engine and rebuild it and make it really pretty. So thinking vapor blast everything maybe. Paint. We’ll see.
                            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Pained the frame? A double entendre if I ever saw one

See, nothing to a simple top end refresh

Did it give you a chance to buy new tools?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                                Pained the frame? A double entendre if I ever saw one

See, nothing to a simple top end refresh

Did it give you a chance to buy new tools?
                                er...Freudian Slip? Anywho, “nothing” to you and a lot of others, I’m sure. Kind of a big deal for me. I consider myself moderately handy, but a mechanic, I am (was?) not.

Tools I bought due to my idiocy that caused this calamity (that I can recall without reference it my eBay and Amazon orders:

Impact screwdriver. The type you hit with a hammer. (don’t know why I never bought one before, WOW!)
                                67mm cylinder hone brush.
                                Piston ring spreader.
                                Terminal Crimper from Vintage Connections (used once still practicing).
                                Soldering Iron. (used once still practicing).
                                and a whole bunch of scotchbrite pads and WD-40 for cleaning gasket surfaces. Should have added up the hours I spent doing THAT!
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X