Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    As far as I know it's the same.

Those engines have oiling issues. One of the few GS engine's that are not bulletproof. There is a fix that involves shimming the oil pressure relief valve. Details available in the archives. That said, don't think that's the cause of this engine failure.
    Not sure why these get such a bad rap? I road raced mine for a year before it got bent up. Pounded the hell out of it. Changed oil and adjusted the valves after every race week end. Just by getting rid of the 630 chain it was the fastest bike in the production class. I was NOT the fastest rider! 80-82 motors are all the same. I believe the motor my have changed in 83.
    Last edited by limeex2; 04-27-2020, 07:35 PM.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
      Not sure why these get such a bad rap? I road raced mine for a year before it got bent up. Pounded the hell out of it. Changed oil and adjusted the valves after every race week end. Just by getting rid of the 630 chain it was the fastest bike in the production class. I was NOT the fastest rider! 80-82 motors are all the same. I believe the motor my have changed in 83.
      They get a bad rap because they tear up cranks and top ends due to poor oiling. Don't believe me? Go search through the archives. There are several threads detailing the horrors.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Making progress on cleaning up the donor engine. Got the barrels off last night. Valve cover and head cleaned up really nice. Most of the base gasket is stuck hard to the bottom of the barrels. That one’s gonna be some work. Filling my shopping cart on partsoutlaw I’m over $200 for all the gaskets, orings, copper washers, half-moons, etc. for the base, barrels, tensioner, head and valve cover.

I have a Clymer’s and the factory manual pdf from BikeCliff’s. Clymer actual may me a little more thorough. Been reading a lot, but I’m sure I'll have questions as I get on with it.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-01-2020, 07:46 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You do realize that, with the engine disassembled, you're going to have to go all Chuck Hahn on it and make it all clean and shiny?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I’m gonna spiff it up a little, without going full Chuck Hahn. I’m not that patient. Though I do admire his work. I wanna ride.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

See this month's Bike of the Month for a classic 7/11 conversion.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well, one thing led to another today and...

Overall, things look pretty good.Swingarm bearings look and feel in great shape. It gave me an opportunity to inspect the goofy wiring by the PO to the rear that I knew was there but never investigated, until now. There are no ground wires going to either turn signal like shown on my wiring diagram. Lots of bare wires twisted together and taped up. And only 2 strands of copper running one of the signals. I’ll want to put it back together better than I took it apart. Should there be a ground wire with a lug under each turn signal mounting nut?

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-03-2020, 12:20 AM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Correct on the ground wire and location
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

GSs have 2 types of turn signals: A) with running lights, and B) without running lights. A) type have 3 wires. B) type have 2 wires. That said, i'd wanna be replacing all that blodge with decent wiring.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

On the plus side, I figured out how to haul my bike in my MINI. It’ll fit, now.

Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Wow, you're getting serious about this bike.
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Once I got started, it turned into one of those “while I’m at it” situations. So now I’ll be fixing rusty spots and painting the frame, swingarm, center stand, side stand and engine mounts. Every nut and bolt’s been wire wheeled, bagged and tagged, every wire connection that I took apart will be cleaned with deoxit before everything goes back together.

The whole front end was removed intact. I only removed the instruments, ignition lock, and top triple so I could remove the front end from the frame. Didn’t have the heart to pull all the wires apart in the headlamp housing. All bearings look great. And I refurbed the forks and front caliper last year.

Once my new gaskets, etc. arrive I’ll finish cleaning up and putting the donor engine back together with my original case covers.

At least that’s the plan.
                          I’m trying to keep everything as organized as I can.
                          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-05-2020, 08:44 PM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Every nut and bolt’s been wire wheeled, bagged and tagged...
                            I’m trying to keep everything as organized as I can.
                            That's the easy way. If you were up for a challenge, you'd skip the tagging, bag them all together, then give it a good shake.

You youngsters - always looking for the easy way out.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                              Wow, you're getting serious about this bike.
                              Very true...I have a thread called “breakdown” but it is nothing compared to what Rich is doing.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Covered all the rusty bits the other day....

I’m fortunate to have a big paint booth at work to hang and paint all the pieces.

Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X