No announcement yet.

750 TSCC Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Four weeks since you started this thread and you're riding.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

AWESOME! Well done!
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I really owe the biggest thank you to my wife who understood what this project meant to me, and who didn’t give me any grief about spending ALL my time in the garage.

Norm came through for me in a big way with the donor motor at a good price and even made sure I had clean exhaust flange threaded holes in the head. Thank you Norm!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with helpful advice and words of encouragement. I meant a lot.

Shake down ride results:
        Starter motor is weak. I knew that before heading out. Stopped once on my ride on a hill, on purpose. Shut the bike off. Went to restart and got a very weak crank and a no start. I bump started it down the hill and headed home. In the garage I was able to start it. Starter seemed to perk up a little. As organized as I tried to be with my parts during the project, I believe I put in the starter motor from the donor engine which had sat for a few years, by mistake. I meant to put in the known good starter from the original 82 engine. Do starter motors ever “perk up”? I guess we’ll see. Not looking forward to pulling the carbs to swap the starter motors. But if that is the only issue resulting from taking everything apart and putting it back together again, I can’t complain.

The engine ran maybe even better than my original. No leaks detected so far. Shifting was great. New clutch plates and cable (routed correctly this time) worked great. Throttle cable need a little slack taken out. I have new throttle cable and choke cables on the way. I’ll tighten the screw on the choke lever as Glen suggested. I forgot I did monkey with that a bit.

The oil pressure light went out after a minute of running. That sensor on the TSCC 750 is in the oil filter cover. I suppose it just took some time to get oil running through the filter housing.

All in all, this went so much better than I could have hoped.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-25-2020, 09:40 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sweet! Glad things are looking up.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Makes me feel good, can only imagine how good it makes you feel. Great job. Congrats.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Great Outcome!

My throttle does the same thing...springs back. I guess I'll have to do what Glen suggested.

Bike sounds great!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I do feel good. And tired. I was up way too late last night putting the engine together and polishing case covers. Enjoying a well deserved beer.

Here are a couple of videos of the engine install. Did scratch the new frame paint a bit. Should have tried to protect it. Oh well, live and learn. I’ve learned so much about this bike in the last 4 weeks. Never took and engine apart past the valve cover before. Never honed a cylinder before. Carb install seems to get easier every time you do it. But no matter how many times I’ve take the exhaust on and off, it’s always a PITA. Using The floor jack to lift the exhaust into place, I actually lifted and dumped the bike over onto the floor, luckily nothing damaged.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks Ed. It’s not the throttle cable, that’s supposed to spring back. It’s the choke cable thumb lever that’s springing back, and shouldn’t. See video in post 118.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Excellent. It's a marvel how they can't allow just an extra few mm here and there to let the engine in and out easily. Mind you, some are much, much worse for ease of access and removal / refit.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      Thanks Ed. It’s not the throttle cable, that’s supposed to spring back. It’s the choke cable thumb lever that’s springing back, and shouldn’t. See video in post 18.
                      tighten as noted earlier by another poster it uses a conical spring
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Rich,

I changed over to a 4-1 exhaust which is much lighter and easier to install (lost at least 30lbs with the weight of the dual-ly). Removing the dual exhaust was a PITA...glad I only had to do it once.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-26-2020, 04:21 PM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Choke screw tightened up, no longer springs back by itself. Thanks Glen.

I b1+th about the exhaust but I didn’t have the problems previously that I did this time. I was exhausted (pun unavoidable), anxious, and i was getting very close to having a running bike. Lost focus on what I was doing with the floor jack and before I knew it the bike was on the ground. Glad it fell away from me, not on me. I had rugs down and cardboard so the fall was relatively soft and nothing was damaged but my pride. I’m used to that, lately.

It is a bear though.

Ed, A new exhaust could be in the future. Can you answer some questions?
                          What kind of exhaust do you have? Manuf.part #?
                          Where did you buy it? How much?
                          Do you like it?
                          Were you able to keep the center stand? That may be a deal breaker. I really like having a center stand.
                          Can you get to the oil drain plug with your exhaust installed? Would hate to have to remove the pipes to drain the oil.
                          Any rejetting necessary? I know the typical answer is no for just a 4into1 pipe with stock air box.

My mufflers were drilled out, poorly, by the PO. It sounds Ok. Probably would sound better If not drilled. Been wanting to address it but don’t really know the best way. Tap the holes and insert some kind of threaded plug?

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-26-2020, 07:01 PM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            My mufflers were drilled out, poorly, by the PO.
                            You're too quick to judge. He was following a pattern. It's called 'asymmetrical chaos.'
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              You're too quick to judge. He was following a pattern. It's called 'asymmetrical chaos.'
                              I do try to find beauty in the seemingly random, but this, this just seem like the PO hated the bike so much that he decided to permanently scar it.

Speaking of, the friend I got the bike from, did mention to me at the time that he had a “race pipe” for it but it was at his brothers house. I never bothered to ask him about it again. His brother traded him the bike for the boat. I ended up getting the bike for free after my buddy got tired of not getting it to run and being charged additional rent every month to keep it on the property of the trailer court where he was living at the time. I still talk to the guy when I run into him once in a while. Wonder if he’s still got that pipe, or if it’s still at his brother’s house. 15 years later.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

V&H/4-1 Exhaust

Rich,

Ed, A new exhaust could be in the future. Can you answer some questions? YES

What kind of exhaust do you have? Manuf.part#? Vance & Hines 4-1...you'll have to call Z1.

Where did you buy it? How much? Z1Enterprise...I think I paid $325.

Do you like it? That's easy...I love it!

Were you able to keep the center stand? That may be a deal breaker. I really like having a center stand. YES, I was able to keep the center stand. I'll post pics below.

Can you get to the oil drain plug with your exhaust installed? Would hate to have to remove the pipes to drain the oil. YES, you can drain without removing exhaust.

Any re-jetting necessary? I know the typical answer is no for just a 4 into1 pipe with stock air box. I went to 117.5 main jets with stock airbox.

This thing weighs a good 30-40 lbs.

This crack was a good reason to buy a new exhaust.

March 21, 2014 my parts arrived.

Z1Enterprise sent me 117.5 main jets...MrBill said they would would be fine instead of the 115.5 I thought was needed.

Enough clearance to get to the oil filter.

Just R-Square (Remove & Replace) the main jets and viola! There's that wire you fabricated for the clutch wire.

This attachment prevents the center stand from hitting the chain.

Another view of attachment.

The result is not too noticeable.

Ed

EDIT: Thread for images I posted here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...hift-Oil/page4
                                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-27-2020, 04:03 PM.
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X