GS1100E 16V: Cannot stop Valve Cover Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    There are multiple common ways for the VS to leak.

1.) weeping is commonly associated with old o-ring gaskets on the center two head bolts.

2.) I have fought similar issues with oil leaking/pouring out the front of the VC. It occured on a long trip and i was 1000 miles from more and did not want to pull the VC on the side of the road.

A brand new Commetic VC gasket had squeezed out of the front. The basic problem is that the VC mating surface was crowned and squeezed the gasket out. Since then i alway use a clean flat file to surface prepare all my gasket surfaces.

3.) A real gasket is a big problem for 16V engines becuase it will cause teh cam tach gear to not engage sufficently and grind of teh mating gear on teh cam. Now you have even bigger problem,. Do not use a real gasket on 16V engine!!!!!

4.) If you or the PO are/were a brute, then it might be a good idea to helicoil all of the VC cover bolts. These are easy to strip , but can be easily eliminated with helicoils.
    Thanks! now that you mention it, i did see the note about RG on a 16V (or more accurately the tach drive part). when i ordered it, I wasn't near my bike, and was totally thinking of the tach drive on one of my others... d'oh.

oh well. I will totally check out the flatness of the gasket surface, not something that ever occurred to me.

As for heli-coils. at this stage, i think it is certainly in my best interest to do them all. All indications are that the PO was a bit of a brute, and i'm sure that nothing is in fantastic shape at this stage of the game.

Thanks again!

-Nate

Comment

When I rebuilt my GS1100E I did every bolt on all the covers (stator, clutch, VC). I don't remember if i did the oil pan as well, but i probably rand a smooth file across all surfaces. If you keep the flat teeth clean you can put a nice surface on it. Don't use a cheap chinese file that is bent. Check for flatness.

If you do the surface the head's VC mating surface , do not pull the cam caps and try to file those surfaces. You will ruin the cam clearance.

Comment

Working...
      X