Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam chain tensioner rebuild. Can it be removed with the carbs on???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner rebuild. Can it be removed with the carbs on???

Looks like my 78 GS750 has developed the dreaded cam chain tensioner leakage. Anyone tried removing the tensioner without removing the carbs? Is it possible? I really don't want to take the airbox and carbs off if I can do it with them on the engine!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

It's (sorta) possible on the 850 (with the BS carbs). The 850 is based on the 750, so it might be similar, but I'm not sure if the VM carbs might intrude a bit more on the bottom, hindering access.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm probably too late to the party, but I just looked at mine and it looks like you would only have about 1.5" of rearward movement before hitting the carb. I think you might need more room than that.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I accessed mine, by removing the airbox, pulling the carbs out of their boots but left them hanging by throttle and choke cables.
        Pulling the airbox out sideways on a GS1100G is kinda easy.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Pulling the airbox out sideways on a GS1100G is kinda easy.
          And pulling the carbs isn't that much more effort, but he has a 750 with VM carbs, so we shouldn't be bragging.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The short answer is NO, at least not with my big paws! Oh well, what's another 20 minutes?
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I seem to recall this has been done, but takes longer and removes more skin and sanity than just getting the carbs out of the way in the first place.

I think future removals might also become possible/easier if you replace the tensioner mounting screws with socket heads (allen heads) so you can reach them from an angle with a long ball end key socket. Then again, once you put in a new seal and o-rings, you probably won't need to remove it again for at least a few decades.

I was a little surprised to find that the starter can fairly easily be removed/replaced with the carbs in place on the 750+ engines, at least the ones with CV carbs. I don't know whether the VM carbs are different enough to interfere with this.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I seem to recall this has been done, but takes longer and removes more skin and sanity than just getting the carbs out of the way in the first place.

I think future removals might also become possible/easier if you replace the tensioner mounting screws with socket heads (allen heads) so you can reach them from an angle with a long ball end key socket. Then again, once you put in a new seal and o-rings, you probably won't need to remove it again for at least a few decades.

I was a little surprised to find that the starter can fairly easily be removed/replaced with the carbs in place on the 750+ engines, at least the ones with CV carbs. I don't know whether the VM carbs are different enough to interfere with this.
                Do you happen to know what part is 09284-10006 for the GS1000G? I can't find anything that looks like it... Bought all the seals and o-rings for my bike though.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Shows an oil seal, looks like appx. 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD. Did you order a seal & didn't know what it was or where it goes? That don't sound right. I'm kind'f confused what you're say'in.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Noreg.

I have checked a number of parts fiche and that seal does not show up for the 1000G. It is used as cam chain tensioner seal, however, and it fits on both my 550es and the 650G. The parts fiche for your model doesn't show that oil seal in the tensioner, either.

Maybe Suzuki changed the design after 1981, and it doesn't fit on your 1000G. Other parts places list it as a straight-up oil seal, but I don't see it listed as used anywhere on the 1000G.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I give dimensions and a complete explanation here:

(Never mind those other numbers and letters; that's just some sort of production code and the manufacturer, NOK.)

09284-10006 is the oil seal used in every known GS cam chain tensioner. Yes, even yours.

For reasons known only to those who once walked the hallowed halls of the Suzuki mother ship in Hamamatsu, this part did not appear on most GS fiches.

There are later models like the GS500 that use a completely and obviously different tensioner design, and so this seal is obviously not used. But people all over the world have used my Suzuki GS cam chain tensioner rebuild instructions since I posted that page 16 years ago, and so far I haven't heard of any where that seal wasn't correct.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 05-29-2020, 05:22 PM.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I give dimensions and a complete explanation here:

(Never mind those other numbers and letters; that's just some sort of production code and the manufacturer, NOK.)

09284-10006 is the oil seal used in every known GS cam chain tensioner. Yes, even yours.

For reasons known only to those who once walked the hallowed halls of the Suzuki mother ship in Hamamatsu, this part did not appear on most GS fiches.

There are later models like the GS500 that use a completely and obviously different tensioner design, and so this seal is obviously not used. But people all over the world have used my Suzuki GS cam chain tensioner rebuild instructions since I posted that page 16 years ago, and so far I haven't heard of any where that seal wasn't correct.
                        Guess Ill have to ask the shop to order me one, I think I have all the other parts on the way.

So weird they'd hide such an important part...
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                          Guess Ill have to ask the shop to order me one, I think I have all the other parts on the way.

So weird they'd hide such an important part...
                          There are ALL KINDS of omissions and egregious mistakes in the Suzuki fiches and the official Factory Service Manual. It happens with every vehicle, really.

Never trust, always verify...
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                          X