No announcement yet.

What do I lube the splines with? GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Copper grease or Marine grease on the Axles.... depends what I have easily at hand.

I would put the local moly stuff in & ride... Get the other stuff & change over later.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      That round one sounds to be a crush-washer-sometimes coppery in appearance...they crush to flat but try to stop tightening before then and you'll get more uses.

Similar crush-washers come on spark plugs.

That said, a flat washer can work if everything is really flat and smooth but can lead to over-torquing the bolt and stretching-then stripping the bolt. lastly, if a flat washer leaks, a piece of gasket paper under the washer can do the trick and somewhat indicate torque where it's a thicker variety.

You say the spline grease you saw was "silvery"? that might indicate it was molybdeneum but dark grey is what my Honda stuff is. You should try to get some Honda or Suzuki or Yamaha or kawasaki or BMW stuff- they all made shaft drives at some point. You want the best suitable here.

...I've used Never-seize at various lubrication points too. Mine is a graphite type- grey- graphite is indeed a lubricant and doesn't seem to react between varying metals that I've noticed anyways.
      The spline grease looks black/brownish. The axle had the silver paste/silver grease (I believe thats the name). I got ceramic paste for the axle.

Does it matter what way I put the crush-washer in? I figure I should probably just buy a bunch of them (or ask for one when I get oil at the store).

Its so hard to find the right concentration of moly. The moly fat from the car store is only 9% and I think it has a too soft consistency. I am also worried as I need it before friday.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Found these options by searching the internet.

Honda M77
        Enduralast 477 Spline Lube
        Loctite LB 8012
        Last edited by Nessism; 07-20-2020, 05:45 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Found these options by searching the internet.

Honda M77
          Enduralast 477 Spline Lube
          Loctite LB 8012
          Found some nice loctite lb 8012 on amazon. Only 40. Until I saw shipping:

Items: USD 40.25
          Shipping & handling: USD 370.00
          Total before tax: USD 410.25
          Estimated tax to be collected:* USD 0.00
          Order total: USD 410.25
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

I found loctite 8012 on ebay. Ordered two 8 oz cans (no idea how much an oz is). For 132 usd.

I will just use the 9% moly grease from the car store for now and replace it when the loctite arrives. People on the Norwegian forums have had success using the 9% noly grease on their BMW splines, so I think it will be okay for a few thousand kilometers.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Just curious, would any automotive type heavy duty axle grease work?
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                Just curious, would any automotive type heavy duty axle grease work?
                Yes, but not long term. Iow, axle grease will work if that's all you have, but make sure to get some sort of moly grease in there next time.
                I'm utterly gobsmacked when I see the rusty mess that some Goldwing splines have on them - owners who just don't know, care, or useless so-called 'mechanics' who shouldn't be let near a spanner.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  Yes, but not long term. Iow, axle grease will work if that's all you have, but make sure to get some sort of moly grease in there next time.
                  I'm utterly gobsmacked when I see the rusty mess that some Goldwing splines have on them - owners who just don't know, care, or useless so-called 'mechanics' who shouldn't be let near a spanner.
                  ever used castrol optimoly? When my centre lift stand arrives Im gonna do my splines.

Apparently its not lubrication but reduction in contact points welding and then rusting away thats key
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                    I found loctite 8012 on ebay. Ordered two 8 oz cans (no idea how much an oz is). For 132 usd.

I will just use the 9% moly grease from the car store for now and replace it when the loctite arrives. People on the Norwegian forums have had success using the 9% noly grease on their BMW splines, so I think it will be okay for a few thousand kilometers.
                    Sure that'll work in the interval. I would've sent you some grease if I'd known you were going to be charged 132USD! Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      Sure that'll work in the interval. I would've sent you some grease if I'd known you were going to be charged 132USD! Yikes.

I am glad you would help out. And I hope 16 oz is enough for a long long time.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

I used the 9% molly grease on the splines (removed the old grease with paper), and put ceramic paste on the axle and the other things on the axle.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

And there I got a message from Ebay that the seller cancelled my order for the loctite... Because of a "Problem with the address".

Edit: Apparently they say the product is restricted from export.
                          Last edited by Noreg; 07-21-2020, 05:55 PM.
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Got any BMW motorcycle dealers in your area? If so, I'd pay them a visit. BMW is big on shaft drive bikes and should have a solid recommendation. My recommendation earlier was taken in part from a thread from AV Rider about BMW servicing.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Got any BMW motorcycle dealers in your area? If so, I'd pay them a visit. BMW is big on shaft drive bikes and should have a solid recommendation. My recommendation earlier was taken in part from a thread from AV Rider about BMW servicing.
                              If I get my bike ridable before friday I am going to Tromsų, fairly sure they have a BMW dealer. In my town they don't have any sellers.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                                ever used castrol optimoly?
                                I've definitely used a Castrol moly grease, but they change the names in different markets.
                                I'm sure the Castrol moly grease was for fork lift chains or some such heavy duty application.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X