no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Not sure but thinking my "91" GSX1100G oem had resistor wires, resistor plug caps & resistor plugs. The older GS's had resistor wires & resistor plug caps but non resistor plugs.
    I think your mistaken about resistor wire on GS bikes. If people would dismantle the plug cap internals they would see the corrosion that occurs over time. This increases resistance so perhaps its a marginal slightly higher resistance cap causing all these magical woes.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't remember if I did anything to the plug caps on the GSX1100G or not. Back in my more aggressive (hot rodding) days, I've disassembled bunches of resistor caps, removed the resistors & packed with copper wire strands, just so there wouldn't be any resistance. Wanted all the spark I could get seemed reasonable. Never seemed to help nor harm anything. I never knew why resistance was needed, all I ever heard was to reduce the static on a.m. radios.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I don't remember if I did anything to the plug caps on the GSX1100G or not. Back in my more aggressive (hot rodding) days, I've disassembled bunches of resistor caps, removed the resistors & packed with copper wire strands, just so there wouldn't be any resistance. Wanted all the spark I could get seemed reasonable. Never seemed to help nor harm anything. I never knew why resistance was needed, all I ever heard was to reduce the static on a.m. radios.
        I have removed the resistor on caps as well and inserted brass rod in their place then used resistor plugs. The resistors can indeed go bad.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Would there be a disadvantage if no resistors in anything, wires, caps, nor plugs? Also do these resistors weaken the spark or slow it down? resistor could mean either. Why want a weaker spark & if slowed, seems that would be addressed with ign. timing?...I don'no.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Would there be a disadvantage if no resistors in anything, wires, caps, nor plugs? Also do these resistors weaken the spark or slow it down? resistor could mean either. Why want a weaker spark & if slowed, seems that would be addressed with ign. timing?...I don'no.
            It may be legend but some folks say that resistance in the plugs or caps allows the charge to the plug build and dissipate in a controlled manner for a cleaner burn bnut i think suzuki went this way to protect the fledgling electronic ignitions.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The resistive plug caps pre-dated electronic ignitions; not everthing was fitted with them, but the amount of disturbance to older radios was real.
              It used to be quite an art, suppressing noise sources under the hood.
              The story of it being to slightly elongate the spark is true, as far as it goes, but I don't think it makes all that much difference. Certainly, running an engine with no resistance on the plugs or leads hasn't lead me to believe there's any substantial advantage to it or not.
              However, I believe that some electronic ignitions are built with the expectation of there being a resistance in place, which is why I now fit resistance plugs only and no resistance caps or leads.
              Change plugs, get a new set of resistors in doing so. Much better than some ancient set of resistive caps or leads that were last changed who knows when.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                What is this teaspoon trick? stainless or sliver? if silver will silver plate do in a pinch?
                Teaspoon trick is dropping a teaspoon of fuel down the spark plug hole (and not more, lest you want to get a hydro lock).

Gets you a few combustions, sometimes even with the carbs off.

I have removed the resistor on caps as well and inserted brass rod in their place then used resistor plugs. The resistors can indeed go bad.
                Can confirm; happened to me with my first GS, described in some other, ancient, thread

As described by Grimly, it's mainly to prevent Radio interference. But that is/was mainly a problem with AM radio, old FM's...nowadays it's all digital anyway and these don't care much.

To my knowledge and experience, there's not much advantage nor disadvantage to run either with resistors or without; but as I said a year ago (sorry for thread necroing) with our vintage bikes it's beneficial not to run too many resistors and instead use just one - ideally the spark plug, because those in the caps go bad.

I can further confirm Grimly's description. The most benefit you'll get with that resistor business is to get rid of bad caps. The fuel doesn't really care how spiky, long nor wide your spark is (radios do), even with a lot of resistors it ignites well within an timing envelope that any difference would only be observable under lab conditions with the most sensitive equipment.

Certainly not at the dyno.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Just curious...what year? '80? '83?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                  X