repairing Katana side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repairing Katana side covers

A couple of the little posts on my sidecover (the ones that hold it on the bike) have broken off and I was wondering what other people might have done to repair them. I'm repainting my bike and want to fix these. I work at an auto body shop and have access to tools and SpeedGripp epoxy. I'm just wondering what to use to replace the posts since they're long gone. I'm without regular transportation at the moment so if, say, I know that 1/2" PVC pipe works, going to Home Depot won't be a problem, but I don't really have the time to go around trying a bunch of stuff. Someone's likely to have run into this before, so if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

bump................

Comment

You're going to have to drill a hole through the side covers and replace the posts with bolts. There is no glue that I know of that will work. Since the posts are gone, a bolt with a hollow shaft of some sort to act as a spacer is probably the best bet. Use stainless steel bolts, make it look pretty as you can. Or you could buy new side covers.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
        You're going to have to drill a hole through the side covers and replace the posts with bolts. There is no glue that I know of that will work. Since the posts are gone, a bolt with a hollow shaft of some sort to act as a spacer is probably the best bet. Use stainless steel bolts, make it look pretty as you can. Or you could buy new side covers.
        The original formula JB Weld will work on the sidecover plastic...at least the 1980 vintage plastic. I reglued a post that came off using JB.

Caution: I have had poor results using the quick dry formula of JB, YMMV, but once was enough for me the original stuff is best and remember surface prep is the key to a good job.

Comment

I used a two part epoxy that's sold specifically for plastics. It's easily available at home stores, and it's worked great for me several times for motorcycle and automotive plastics -- everything except the flexible urethane.

However, on the side covers, I still had the plastic posts to work with. I rough sanded the mating surfaces and drilled small holes near the bottom of the post so the epoxy could form a strong mechanical link.

Since your posts are missing, you might need to visit a hobby shop and find some plastic rod of the correct diameter. I don't know exactly what kind of plastic to get, but the hobby shop should be able to help you. Someone here might know what plastic the sidecoversa re made of. You could carve an indentation in the end of the rod so it has a bulb or arrow shape that will snap into the grommet.

It would also be a good idea to replace the old hardended grommets. They're a buck or so each the next time you order parts.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I believe the side covers are made out of ABS. Any good epoxy should work well.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

Got the epoxy covered - we use SpeedGripp at our shop, and it's so strong we actually use it at times when welding is inconvienent. That stuff is badass - don't use it if you're hot absolutely sure you want it bonded permanently.

Where can I buy a new sidecover? I looked again and only one side is broken, the other side is all there.

Comment

Working...
              X