Let's see your Cell Phone holder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your Cell Phone holder.

I am trying to find a cell phone holder for my bike that will hold the phone inside the fairing / gauge protected "windless" area. There are too many options out there to know which one will put the phone in the center and at the right angle to see clearly.

((My old one did not attach to the middle of the bars between the clamps without actually taking the bars out first which was a PITA))

As you can see, there is not any "horizontal" area to attach to except up near the grips. If I attach to the diagonal part of the bars, I am not sure what type of phone holder will extend and bend to the right position in the "windless area".

If you have an ingenuous way of mounting your phone I would love to see it... and also know what brand you used.

gs cockpit.jpg
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Here's mine:

IMG_7205 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

IMG_7206 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Yep, it's my tank bag. I have a Bluetooth headset that will allow me to take/make calls and play back text messages (though I started using Do Not Disturb as my wife/daughter will blow up my phone in group messages) but I don't care about my email or any other distraction (Facebook) while I'm riding. That's what the stops are for if they are that important.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have a Ram Mount, but on hotter days sitting in the direct sun my phone shuts down from excess heat. In that case I'll toss it in the tank bag. Honestly, the Ram mount is preferred as I can easily skip songs, see who's calling or look at the GPS etc.

The RAM-HOL-UN10-400 and RAM-HOL-UN7-400 consist of a small Tough-Claw base and universal X-Grip holder for phones and phablets. The X-Grip holder has…

Look at the 850 in this thread for ideas. Carl mounted just about everything you can think of to his bars.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I know they're a bit controversial, but I use the Quadlock on my bike and it's great.
        Charges my phone on the go, has a smart battery connector so it's only on when the bike is running, has a vibration dampener and all the wires tuck away nicely under the tank.

Far from cheap, but it does the job beautifully.
        1977 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          I have a Ram Mount, but on hotter days sitting in the direct sun my phone shuts down from excess heat. In that case I'll toss it in the tank bag. Honestly, the Ram mount is preferred as I can easily skip songs, see who's calling or look at the GPS etc.

The RAM-HOL-UN10-400 and RAM-HOL-UN7-400 consist of a small Tough-Claw base and universal X-Grip holder for phones and phablets. The X-Grip holder has…

Look at the 850 in this thread for ideas. Carl mounted just about everything you can think of to his bars.

I looked at his and even though his is behind his big windscreen, it would not be on mine. I suppose what I am looking for it a phone that will mount to the vertical / diagonal portion of the bars and extend over toward the centerline of the bike, and be able to be turned in the right direction to view it.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

I’ve been very happy with this rock solid phone mount and this cheapo power source/voltmeter.

Tackform's 20 Series Motorcycle Phone holders are an all-metal phone mounts built to compliment the OEM looks and feel of your motorcycle. The industrial spring loaded phone molder allows for easy insertion and removal of your phone or device.

https://www.amazon.com/BATIGE-Motorcycle-Voltmeter-Waterproof-Smartphone/dp/B09G63XGVW?pd_rd_w=w1tVf&content-id=amzn1.sym.b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_p=b854a5c2-4475-41f8-a6d4-df92b2868104&pf_rd_r=7ZJD1E8BA798GAK80FPS&pd_rd_wg =xpNk8&pd_rd_r=d40e774b-e212-40d6-af5d-8f515e2fd85e&pd_rd_i=B09G63XGVW&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp _bia_rpt_ba_s_1_sc

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            GS1100ET

Comment

GS1100ET

Comment

GS1100ET

Comment

Behold, fine GS folks, the world's most perfect-est solution for holding a phone securely, with easy, positive in-and-out, AND protection against the vibration that will kill your phone's camera in short order.

Apologies for the up-close bug and off-road crusties and the fact that this is the one on my KLR. I have the same holder on all my bikes, including the GS.

What we have here is a RAM Quick-Grip XL, and after killing the cameras on two phones, I added rubber "sandwich" mounts from McMaster-Carr to dampen vibration. So far, zero phone issues after adding the rubber mounts two years ago.

The RAM Quick-Grip is where it's at -- it uses a spring-loaded claw to maintain a firm, positive grip on the phone that's immune to pretty much anything you can throw at it. The XL is the larger version, needed for most current phones.

The RAM X-Grip looks cooler, but it is pure fiddly phone-ejecting garbage. Unless you spend a minute or two getting the phone in just the right place each and every time, and it never rains, and you use the little stretchy net thing, your phone is going to hit the ground. And even if you do all that, your phone will exit the X-Grip at some point anyway. The X-Grip depends entirely on friction, and that just ain't good enough.​ Plus, when the phone is in the holder, the mount can rotate a bit, which will drive you nuts.

Here are the sandwich mounts -- the #8-32 thread matches that used in RAM hardware, and you'll need two extra 8-32 Nylok nuts if you don't have them lying around already. They go in between the holder and the mount plate.
                  McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

The OP should be able to achieve the center mounting desired with a longer mount arm, or perhaps mounting the RAM ball to the handlebar clamp with a longer bolt. There are many solutions available with RAM hardware. You'll need the holder, the plate with the ball that mounts to the holder, a mounting arm, and some variety of a mount that attaches to your bike. Most bikes can use a handlebar clamp, but there are varieties that mount to a bolt, or mount to the clamp for the brake or clutch perch.

RAM stuff is even somewhat reasonably priced.

Last edited by bwringer; 05-16-2023, 09:20 AM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I am one of the old geezers that does not use a phone for navigation, so I do not mount a phone to the bike. If you want to see my phone mount, just look for the clip on my belt.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Thank you for sending those pictures.
                      It looks like yours is mounted just right next to the handlebar clamps which is a good place, although on mine has less than 1" before the bend.
                      Does yours attach easily without having to remove the handlebars to tighten down the bolts?
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

The bar begins to curve at about 1”, like you are describing, but the clamp fits nicely, as you can see. Easy to install without dismantling anything. Lots of adjustability, no rubber keeper needed, and it is solid. I see that they have a vibration-dampening version, as well.
                        GS1100ET

Comment

Apple said a while back its phones would sustain damage in a hard mount
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                          X