Allen Head screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Head screws

I’ve searched the forum about Allen head screws, which I think I would like to change over to.

Is it possible or even a good idea to change the bolts out one at a time?

Or is this something that should only be done when the covers are taken off for another reason?

Steve

Originally posted by hunter58
    I’ve searched the forum about Allen head screws, which I think I would like to change over to.

Is it possible or even a good idea to change the bolts out one at a time?

Or is this something that should only be done when the covers are taken off for another reason?

Steve
    I don't see a problem doing it that way, in fact I would do it in a heartbeat that way.

Hap

Comment

That is how I did mine. I had no reason to take my engine case covers off so I just bought a kit sold on eBay and changed them one at a time. If you do a search on eBay you might be able to find a SS Allen head screw set already put together for your bike that includes all the different lengths. I think I got my kit for around $20 which ain't bad and everything was there. Good Luck, and if you still have Phillips head screws on your engine make sure to use a quality Impact tool to get those suckers out easily.
      Also, don't buy those black coated allen head screws, make sure to get the SS ones. The black ones turn to rust literally in front of your eyes.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Everytime I take something apart on my bike (eg. Carbs) I change the original bolts out. I like Allen head stainless steel.

Comment

Stainless allen heads are a gift from heaven. Chances are you'll strip half of those infernal phillips head screws anyway. Just an FYI, I wouldnt replace any critical hardware (engine mount bolts, suspension fasteners, etc) with stainless. Stainless is much softer, and I dont know about you, but there are several bolts that I dont want failing at 80+ mph.

Comment

What are the stocker's made of? I'm going to need to replace those too.

Comment

Originally posted by GSstiny View Post
              Stainless allen heads are a gift from heaven. Chances are you'll strip half of those infernal phillips head screws anyway. Just an FYI, I wouldnt replace any critical hardware (engine mount bolts, suspension fasteners, etc) with stainless. Stainless is much softer, and I dont know about you, but there are several bolts that I dont want failing at 80+ mph.
              stainless steel is harder than ordinary steel try turning it on a lathe or milling machine, depends what grade of ss you use

Comment

To clarify, stainless is much harder and stronger than most of the OEM fasteners, but it IS more brittle.

And unless you add some sort of anti-sieze to the threads, stainless will bond to the aluminum threads over time. After a few years, it will be impossible to remove without seriously damaging the aluminum part.

So you must use antisieze when using stainless, and you should not use stainless for critical, highly stressed applications like axles, brake caliper bolts, or connecting rod and transmission bolts.

An engineer with access to complete and accurate metallurgical data might make the decision that substituting stainless would be perfectly OK in many of these cases. However, the manufacturing data and specs for the original hardware are likely forever lost or unavailable, so you'd have to destroy a lot of bolts to become confident of their specs...

For 90% or more of the bolts and screws you encounter on a GS, stainless allen heads are the way to go, without question. I never remove or install anything without asking myself if I can find a stainless substitute with an allen head. Phillips head fasteners are never used in highly stressed applications, so you can pretty safely substitute all of these abominations.

The kits on eBay are a good start. Ace and Do It Best hardware stores usually have a decent selection at gawdawful prices, but they're OK if you just need a few bolts fast.

A couple of good online sources:
                McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Great prices and fast shipping, but all the bolts come in bags of various quantities. I like having extras anyway.

You can order what you need here via fax or phone, and they offer polishing for what seem to be reasonable fees. If you can't find what you need in the lists online, you can call and they'll probably be able to find or make it for you.

And if you want to spend some serious money, Google for metric titanium bolts... yikes!

Remember, you spec bolts by the diameter and pitch of the threads only, not the head of the bolt or the wrench size. Length does NOT include the head, unless it is intended to be countersunk so that it sits flush or below the surface.

Here are a couple of sample bolt diagrams from McMaster that may be helpful to ponder:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

And if you want to spend some serious money, Google for metric titanium bolts... yikes!
                  lol :-D yikes is the very word i'd use my self!

Very nice info dude cheers

Comment

If you know the size and pitch, you can order SS bolts (and darn-near everything else) in bulk from www.fastenal.com .

Make sure to check around your town, too - you'd be surprised by what you never knew was there. Farm implement, tractor, and machine shops typically carry an assortment of SS hardware, too - or at least can furnish you a catalog and order it for you.

I stay away from the Hardware stores (Lowe's, HD, Ace, Osh, etc - their sellection is typically poor, anyways) when it comes to automotive fasteners.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                      If you know the size and pitch, you can order SS bolts (and darn-near everything else) in bulk from www.fastenal.com .

Make sure to check around your town, too - you'd be surprised by what you never knew was there. Farm implement, tractor, and machine shops typically carry an assortment of SS hardware, too - or at least can furnish you a catalog and order it for you.

I stay away from the Hardware stores (Lowe's, HD, Ace, Osh, etc - their sellection is typically poor, anyways) when it comes to automotive fasteners.

-Q!

I couldn't find allen head fasteners at Fastenal -- do they call them something else? I've also seen hex head and socket head used, but those terms didn't work either.

My experience in farm stores around here has been quite the opposite -- they have little to no metric hardware. But then again, I'm in the middle of Indiana, USA, last holdout of the dreaded inch fastener. 99% of the motorycles around here are Hardley-Ablesons, which use inch fasteners out of some odd sense of tradition.

Even though every car manufacturer has been using all metric fasteners since the mid '70s, you still find at least 10 times the amount of inch fasteners as metric in any hardware store. I've never figured that out. There can't be THAT many Hardleys, lawn mowers, and pre-'70s vintage hot rods around, can there? Just one of my pet peeves.

The point is well-taken, though, that you have to dig around. There's a hardware store in my old hometown that has a FANTASTIC collection of metric and stainless metric stuff, along with taps, dies, and tools. But you'd never know it because the rest of the store is heavily oriented towards home improvement and woodworking.

I have seen lately some very nice looking displays of polished chrome plated fasteners at local hardware stores. They have a wide variety of metric allen head stuff, but it is eye-wateringly expensive. Plus, the chrome is still subject to corrosion, especially if you damage the plating by, you know, actually tightening one of the bolts. Very pretty, though.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Instead of Allen head try socket head...I got all mine at Fastenal.

Hap

Comment

I buy 'em in bags of 50 from my local Fastenal. But if you're just looking to do your engine, yes absolutely by the kits from Ebay.

Comment

Working...
                          X