How To Get Paint Off An Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Get Paint Off An Engine?

As a newbie to the wonderful world of working on motorcycles...

...I've learned so much from this awesome forum.

Thank you.

I'm in the process of getting a 1982 Suzuki GS750T back on the road.

Having sorted the Tank and Carbs out, next up was - what I thought would be - a relatively simple valve check with replacement gaskets and seals.

And then I could see if I can get her fired up.

Cleaning the cylinder head cover before removal I couldn't help noticing how bad the paint was on the engine.

It pressed all my buttons.

So started trying to get the old paint off.

It's stuck like sh*t to a blanket.

And is proving to be a very time-intensive job.

Especially since methyl chloride​ has been removed from all commercial paint strippers available here in the UK.

I'm using brass brushes, bits attached to the Dremel, and elbow grease.

It's taken me two sessions (in between life, work, family, etc) to strip about 1/4 of the cylinder. I think I might have started something I don't know how to finish!​

Here's what it looked like the other day...

03-suzy-valves.jpg

Sorry for waffling.

My question is: How do I get this freaking engine paint off?

I figure there has to be a better way than how I'm doing it.

And I've been busy researching and the research has left me feeling overwhelmed with options.

And I feel stuck with how to move forward.

Do I:
    • Continue using my crap/slow method?
    • Take the engine out of the frame and continue with my method?
    • Break the engine down- in the frame - into its separate components for paint removal?

Or do I:
    • Take the engine to a professional?
    • For glass bead/soda blast/Vapour blast?
    • And can they do the whole engine at once or does it need breaking down into parts?

Or do I:
    • Blast it myself?
    • Glass bead or Soda?
    • And can I do the whole engine at once or do I have to break it down into parts?

Or do I do something else?

I mean, can you use a heat gun on a motorcycle engine?

Cards on the table, I’m keen to avoid taking the engine apart.

I don’t know if or how well it works, but I’m worried it won’t work after I’ve finished learning what goes where.

I tell ya, I wish I’d just put up with all the paint flakes and chips now.

Any advice you can share from your experience getting paint off an engine is much appreciated.

Cuz at the moment... I feel like I'm going mad.

Thank you.

Comment

On my 1100 motor I removed it from the frame, fitted it onto an engine stand and soda blasted it (harbor freight unit) with the covers on and all ports and orifices sealed. Wouldn't recommend any harsh medium as it will pit the aluminum.
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Blasting is your best bet
        soda, or walnut shells
        Avoid glass beads, you'll spend more time cleaning up than blasting
        vapor blasting is a finishing process, you can do that after paint removal, if you want
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
          On my 1100 motor I removed it from the frame, fitted it onto an engine stand and soda blasted it (harbor freight unit) with the covers on and all ports and orifices sealed. Wouldn't recommend any harsh medium as it will pit the aluminum.
          Thanks Nic, I've been reading your 1983 GS1100ES Engine Rebuild post. Very illuminating.

I loved this:
          "It's just a matter of patience and time. Finding the courage to open things up is the hardest step. The rest depends on determination, resourcefulness and the almighty $ being the unfortunate deal breaker."
          Great advice, I'm lacking courage to take the engine apart =)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Blasting is your best bet
            soda, or walnut shells
            Avoid glass beads, you'll spend more time cleaning up than blasting
            vapor blasting is a finishing process, you can do that after paint removal, if you want
            Thanks for this, useful information =)

Comment

You can still buy methylene chloride paint stripper (made by Starchem) if you sign a professional waiver. Just google for Starchem paint stripper, uk.
              Also, methylene chloride is used as a plexiglass glue and can be bought by the 1L and 5L quantity, quite legally.
              Yes, be aware that methylene chloride was banned from public sale for a reason - look it up and be safe.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                You can still buy methylene chloride paint stripper (made by Starchem) if you sign a professional waiver. Just google for Starchem paint stripper, uk.
                Also, methylene chloride is used as a plexiglass glue and can be bought by the 1L and 5L quantity, quite legally.
                Yes, be aware that methylene chloride was banned from public sale for a reason - look it up and be safe.
                You know what?

You're absolutely right.

This morning 1L of Starchem was delivered.

And it works!

Thank you for giving me the confidence to see the purchase through. I'd given up previously, thinking I'd never be able to provide the necessary paperwork.

But, there you go.

Everyday is a school day =)

Thanks again Dave.

Comment

Glad it worked out.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I can't even imagine trying to strip the paint off the engine using stripper and hand tools! I've done some labor-intensive projects over the years, but I wouldn't even attempt that. I've media blast for sure.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X