GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emjay View Post
    If it were me and I had the ability you seem to have, I'd buy a beater as 8track suggested and mod that one up. Sometimes the goal (owning a streetfighter) isn't as important as the path (modding an old GS). Half the fun might be the project. \\/
    Exactly. I think it'll be very fun and challenging to fabricate and design the parts and modifications required to get the old frame to work with the new seat subframe and gas tank. To boot, this bike needs to ride better than the original - this bike is my daily rider. As mentioned before, I think if I design the bolt-on mounts for the new seat and tank correctly, I should be able to disassemble the streetfighter look and reassemble the classic GS look in about a half an hour. It'll be quite the project, looking forward to starting. I just ordered a GSXR 1000 tail cowling and seat from eBay - next step is to get a seat subframe and GSXR 1000 gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      To boot, this bike needs to ride better than the original - this bike is my daily rider.
      If there's one thing that's anti daily rider, its probably a "project" bike...

I just ordered a GSXR 1000 tail cowling and seat from eBay - next step is to get a seat subframe and GSXR 1000 gas tank.
      How you gonna run a GSX-R* late model subframe and keep your twinshock setup?

Comment

i have oh five bikes, first one I got I decided too chop was a yami, tx 750. ( no title but still I chopped it). That was a year ago. Then I got my hands on a gs 750 (put the stuff from the gs 1100 on that one. The gs 1100 I went small mods.

Point is and I have my many friends in the same situation. Doing big mods too your daily rider, is never a good idea. small ones yes. But make sure its not your only bike you ride all the time. I know a friend who chopped a and did a cafe on a savior frame and twins yamai xs engine with a gear box install. He said he finally went out and bought a daily rider cause his bike is taking too long too work on. Now doing it in the winter is a good idea. Are you plainning these mods for the winter? I took some showa shocks from a dirt bike and made a front wheel for them. but the tree was what stumped me the most on the head for the gs 850. I couldnt find a bearing that fit in there just right. close but no winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyg View Post
          i have oh five bikes, first one I got I decided too chop was a yami, tx 750. ( no title but still I chopped it). That was a year ago. Then I got my hands on a gs 750 (put the stuff from the gs 1100 on that one. The gs 1100 I went small mods.

Point is and I have my many friends in the same situation. Doing big mods too your daily rider, is never a good idea. small ones yes. But make sure its not your only bike you ride all the time. I know a friend who chopped a and did a cafe on a savior frame and twins yamai xs engine with a gear box install. He said he finally went out and bought a daily rider cause his bike is taking too long too work on. Now doing it in the winter is a good idea. Are you plainning these mods for the winter? I took some showa shocks from a dirt bike and made a front wheel for them. but the tree was what stumped me the most on the head for the gs 850. I couldnt find a bearing that fit in there just right. close but no winner.
          This will be a winter project, for when it's too cold or snowy to ride.

I was fooling around in Photoshop again to see what the proposed bike would look like with a more traditional headlight. I think I like it more - the other headlight was too modern. Still trying for the "If Suzuki were to build a GS1000E today, what would it look like?" look. As you can see, this may take a few iterations. :-D

I like the balance of new and old in this:

Originally posted by morthrane
          How you gonna run a GSX-R* late model subframe and keep your twinshock setup?
          Don't know yet. I have some ideas, but it's hard to say until I get the actual parts.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2006, 03:13 AM.

Comment

An update after a bunch of research and trial/error:

This '04 GSXR 1000 complete front end (forks, brakes, rim, triples, Michelin Pilot Power tire, rotors) arrives this week via a man driving a brown truck: =D>

Once the front end is installed, I'll be replacing the rear end too with a GS1100 swingarm, GSXR rear brake, a 4.5x17" rim, IKON shocks, a 530 chain conversion, and a 160 section Michelin Pilot Power tire. If the riding position is better, rearsets may be installed as well.

I decided to leave the tank and seat stock to keep with the look and feel of the bike. Same goes for the headlight and instrument panel.
            A 140 MPH speedo was purchased on e%ay and that's in the queue to get installed.

The rear fender has been removed, except for the piece protecting the battery. I removed the tail cowl and fabricated a taillight/turn signal/license plate mount. The rear turn signals are now from a GSXR 750. The last 2-4" of the subframe will be cut off where the tail cowl and stock turn signals used to be and the new lights/license plate mount will be installed nearer the rear of the seat for a cleaner, more modern look.

I actually tried out a GSXR tank and seat/subframe/tail fairing and they just looked goofy, not to mention the amount of fabrication needed to get them to install. FWIW, the ONLY sportier looking tank that will fit a GS1000 in terms of dimensions and mounting without fabrication is a GSX1100 tank like this one. But, after shipping from Europe, it winds up being about $300. GS1100 and GS1150 tanks are too long.

The engine and tranny will stay stock save for a pods and Stage 3 jet treatment. I decided to save the money I was thinking of putting into an overbore treatment and other spendy go-fast goodies into the buy-a-new-'07-Bandit-1250-that-has-that-stuff-stock fund.

The clutch blew chunks last week so it's in the shop getting fixed. I had to replace the valve cover gasket as it was leaking oil pretty badly.

Once all the mechanical work has been done, the tank and side panels will be painted satin black. The top of the tank right now is pink from all the sun-fading, so it needs paint badly.

Thanks to everyone for all the great info on this site - I couldn't do this without you!
            Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I like the change in direction - much more to my taste, as you can see by my bike, which has had a few mods. Bought a bandit tail cowl, which will actually fit on quite nicely, but then it'll look like a bandit. I'm now thinking to shorten the stock seat & cowl and leave it at that - much more recognizeable as a GS that way.

Still might go with a monoshock GSXR rear swingarm this winter, though..

Comment

Looks great! What kind of front end, headlight, and rear shocks are you using? Is that a custom handlebar riser, or did it come with your front end? Are you running a radial tire in the rear as well? If you go with the monoshock, post pictures! I'd like to see what the conversion process entails.

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                I like the change in direction - much more to my taste, as you can see by my bike, which has had a few mods. Bought a bandit tail cowl, which will actually fit on quite nicely, but then it'll look like a bandit. I'm now thinking to shorten the stock seat & cowl and leave it at that - much more recognizeable as a GS that way.

Still might go with a monoshock GSXR rear swingarm this winter, though..
                Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I really like what you guyz are doing with these old skunks.... =D>

keep postin...

Comment

Skunk grunt with better, more modern handling? Gotta love it!

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
                    I really like what you guyz are doing with these old skunks.... =D>

keep postin...

Comment

Skunk grunt with better, more modern handling? Gotta love it!

yessiree....

your a preachin to the chior on that score brother....8-)

amen

Comment

It's your bike...

Good luck man- just ignore my tears over the thoughts of doing any cutting on your BEAUTIFUL classic GS ](*,)
                        That said, I will be watching your progress though- what an ambitious project! Sincerely best of luck!

oops, just re-read a bit, guess you're not planning as much cutting as I had thought- sorry 'bout the flak man- keep up the steam and get that bike back on the road.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 11:00 AM. Reason: misread.

Comment

Looks great! What kind of front end, headlight, and rear shocks are you using? Is that a custom handlebar riser, or did it come with your front end? Are you running a radial tire in the rear as well? If you go with the monoshock, post pictures! I'd like to see what the conversion process entails.
                          Front end is a 94 GSXR, headlight is a Euro spec "Naked" FZ6, and the shocks are ZRX 1200. The shocks are about an inch longer than stock, and I find it raises the rear nicely. Combined with the front end, the bike is now much quicker into the turns. Actually feels a little twitchy (but no speed wobbles), so I am going to look into mounting a steering damper.

The risers are off an SV650 if I recall correctly, and are bolted through the holes that held the clipons to the top triple clamp. The bars are renthal ATV bars - a little taller than the renthal streetfighter bend, and almost stock feeling. The rear tire is still a bias ply - no handling issues at all. The new front makes the bike feel much more stable & secure now.

Oh, btw, mine's not a skunk, it's an 1100. Hope that doesn't kick me outta the club..! :roll:

Comment

What to do with the parts

Hey 80GS1000 what you going to do with the left over parts? I can use the front fender if it would fit my 79. My chrome fender has a small crease in it. And yours is the same color as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeptrix View Post
                              Hey 80GS1000 what you going to do with the left over parts? I can use the front fender if it would fit my 79. My chrome fender has a small crease in it. And yours is the same color as mine.
                              The front fender is chrome. It's a little scuffed up toward the back, but hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. The fender *should* fit the 79 GS1000, but I'm not sure. Check bikebandit.com to see if the part numbers are the same.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! You're definately in the club of wanting to take the muscle and lowend torque/grunt of an oldschool aircooler and pair it with the nimbleness of a modern suspension.

I'll be using a handlebar riser as well since clipons are a wee bit uncomfortable. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. =D>

What about a speedometer? What can be done since the old GS1000/1100 front wheel is 19", but the new GSXR wheel is 17"? If using a stock GS1000 speedo, your speed would be off by about 11% because of the diameter difference between the wheels.

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                                Front end is a 94 GSXR, headlight is a Euro spec "Naked" FZ6, and the shocks are ZRX 1200. The shocks are about an inch longer than stock, and I find it raises the rear nicely. Combined with the front end, the bike is now much quicker into the turns. Actually feels a little twitchy (but no speed wobbles), so I am going to look into mounting a steering damper.

The risers are off an SV650 if I recall correctly, and are bolted through the holes that held the clipons to the top triple clamp. The bars are renthal ATV bars - a little taller than the renthal streetfighter bend, and almost stock feeling. The rear tire is still a bias ply - no handling issues at all. The new front makes the bike feel much more stable & secure now.

Oh, btw, mine's not a skunk, it's an 1100. Hope that doesn't kick me outta the club..! :roll:
                                Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X