No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of talking to myself, here's the answer to this question, after speaking with a rep from Electrosport.

Their tach WILL work on a GS. You splice their tach pickup wire into one of the spark plug wires. The unit then calculates the RPM by counting the ignition pulses. Slick.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    What can be done to get an electronic/digital tach on GS?

The Electrosport gauges look great and have lots of features, but their tach inputs are CDI or ignition coil signal. What does CDI and ignition coil signal mean? I assume this means that the new tach expects an electronic input. (http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_3900.html) The GS tach cable and mechanism is mechanical, not electronic. Apart from buying an expensive Dyna 2000 electronic ignition with a digital tach output, what can be done to get a digital/electronic signal out to these new tachs?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Wonder if that'd work on a twin too.... Usually it doesn't

Comment

So I've never swapped out a front end on a motorcycle before. And the Gixxer front end is due to arrive tomorrow. What's involved? Any gotchas to watch out for?

Comment

At the risk of talking to myself, here's the answer to this question, after speaking with a rep from Electrosport.

Their tach WILL work on a GS. You splice their tach pickup wire into one of the spark plug wires. The unit then calculates the RPM by counting the ignition pulses. Slick.

that is kinda nifty... =D>

Comment

80GS - not much to swapping the front end, as long as you got one that fits#-o

Assuming you did, you just need to remove the existing one and replace it with the new one - might want to consider replacing your steering bearings at the same time if you haven't done it in a while. I found it easiest to put the whole assembly of lower triple and forks/wheel etc on at once, but you may have to raise your bike to do it that way - otherwise you can just mount the triples, and then slide in the forks and attach the wheel, but it's more disassembly/assembly that way. Either way, I'd go over the new front end to ensure all bolts are tight, etc.

Have fun, and post pics when you're done!

Comment

Johnnay-

The new front end arrived yesterday - looks sweet! I'm excited to install it soon.

Where'd you get those handlebar risers? I'm looking at a riser set for my front end that requires that I drill 4 holes in the triple clamp to install - don't want to drill it at all if it can be avoided. [-( It looks like using the stock clipons won't be an option since they'll hit the tank when turning the bars, not to mention the chiropractor bills if I use them.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2006, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Johnnay-

The new front end arrived yesterday - looks sweet! I'm excited to install it soon.

Where'd you get those handlebar risers? I'm looking at a riser set for my front end that requires that I drill 4 holes in the triple clamp to install - don't want to drill it at all if it can be avoided. [-( It looks like using the stock clipons won't be an option since they'll hit the tank when turning the bars, not to mention the chiropractor bills if I use them.
                i've seen some stock bikes and some aftermarket bars that are raised clip-ons and i'm sure you could find a set that would fit your new forks.
                then you wouldn't have to modify your triple clamp.

time to hunt ebay...

Comment

There are lots of risers that just use a single bolt, so you won't have to drill the triple clamp - just use the bolt holes that normally secure the clipons. I used Suzuki SV650 ones off Ebay, but had to wait a while to find them. Here are a couple of current Ebay examples:

Item 230036454759
                  Item 190039626762

Just make sure you get risers for the right size bars - 7/8" is normal like those above, or you can go 1 1/8" if you want to use renthal/pro taper twin wall or fat bars - nice! Here's one in the big size:

Item 290037099572

Or just make it easy on yourself and buy the whole shebang at once like this:

Item 320036669031

Hope this helps!

P.S. - On my bike, I put the forks level with the top triple clamp, which gives closer to stock length, but eliminates anywhere for the clipons to mount (didn't want them anyways, as I'm going for a bit of a streetfighter look).

Comment

Johnnay-

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

Looks like the LSL handlebar kit is another option as well. It replaces your top triple clamp and includes an integrated riser for the 7/8" bar.

Looks good too:

Comment

Hi all-

I just spent some time in Photoshop mocking up a streetfighter based on the GS1000, along with some GSXR 1000 parts. I'm trying to capture the vibe/essence of the GS1000, but update the look a bit to make it appear more aggressive and modern. Kind of old school meets new school. Go easy on my Photoshop skills - it's a rough sketch.

What do you think?

Before:

After:

oK,ITS NONE OF MY BUSINESS,BUT YOUR BIKE LOOKS SO GOOD,IF I HAD ONE LIKE YOURS I WOULDNT CUT IT UP.MINE HAS BEEN SO MISTREATED,I AINT HURTING NOTHING BY DOING WHAT I WANT.I SOON WILL HAVE IT THE WAY I WANT IT.BUT IF IT STARTED OUT LIKE YOURS I WOULD NEVER HACK IT UP.BETTER HANDLEBARS,PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS,NOTHING MORE.JUST MY OPINION.
                      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I hear you. I actually changed my mind about radically altering the appearance based on yours and other's feedback. The bike I designed in Photoshop doesn't look like a GS anymore. Maybe I'll fighter a GSXR-1000 someday.

This project has morphed into mostly upgrading the suspension and brakes of the bike. I'm adding a GSXR 1000 front end for better handling and braking, and a rear end conversion to be able to run a wider radial tire , a late model brake and new rear shocks.
                        A pods/jetting hop-up and a new paint job and I'm done.

Something along these lines:

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                        oK,ITS NONE OF MY BUSINESS,BUT YOUR BIKE LOOKS SO GOOD,IF I HAD ONE LIKE YOURS I WOULDNT CUT IT UP.MINE HAS BEEN SO MISTREATED,I AINT HURTING NOTHING BY DOING WHAT I WANT.I SOON WILL HAVE IT THE WAY I WANT IT.BUT IF IT STARTED OUT LIKE YOURS I WOULD NEVER HACK IT UP.BETTER HANDLEBARS,PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS,NOTHING MORE.JUST MY OPINION.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2006, 02:39 AM.

Comment

80GS - I looked at those LSL top clamps as well, but with all the other stuff I was buying, the $300 was a bit much -got my risers for $25\\/

Really like where your going with your bike now - upgrade the performance, but keep the classic looks. Your bike will really stand out like that - won't be just another GSXR without fairings. (which wouldn't be bad, just not as unique).

Comment

An update-

The toughest part about doing this particular front end swap is the difference in steering stem diameter between the GS1000 and the GSXR 1000. The bearings on the bottom are the same size, but the bearings on the top are different.

The steering stem bearings on the two bikes are like this:

GS1000 UPPER:
                            25 mm inner diameter, 47 mm outer race diameter, and 15 mm height

GS1000 LOWER:
                            30 mm inner diameter, 55 mm outer race diameter, and 17 mm height

GSXR1000 UPPER:

GSXR1000 LOWER:

So, that leaves you with a few options. You can turn the GSXR steering stem down 5 mm on a lathe to get the upper steering stem to get it to fit the stock GS1000 bearing. This however potentially compromises the strength of the stem. You can get a new stem made to match the GSXR lower triple and the GS steering stem. But this is a PITA, involving drawing up accurate specifications to send to a machine shop for fabrication.

Or you can get the correct 30x47x15 bearing to mate the two. \\/ This guy custom makes these bearings for front end swaps, they are not available from any bearing manufacturer. Just so happens that the SV steering bearings are the same as the GS. Gotta love Suzuki interchangablilty.

Ground clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue as the new forks are only .5" shorter than the GS1000 forks. The main potential ground clearance issue is the fact that the new Gixxer front end has a lower profile 17" tire instead of the 19" on the GS1000. But the radial tire and vastly superior front forks should help prevent bottoming out. To be determined.

Comment

That is EXACTLY the kind of seat I want on my bike. Any ideas on the make of this one, or am I stuck with custom-making one?

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                                That is EXACTLY the kind of seat I want on my bike. Any ideas on the make of this one, or am I stuck with custom-making one?
                                My guess is that they shaved the foam down into the desired shape on a stock GS1000 seat like the one below and recovered it.

Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X